1787 Connecticut Copper?

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finds are getting slim, as I am running out of spots. I did manage to find what I think is a Connecticut copper yesterday near an old homesite, or at least what is left of one. If you use your imagination, you can see a left facing bust on the obverse. The reverse has slightly better detail, and I believe I see 1787 at the bottom. There are many legal and counterfeit varieties of this coin, so I don’t know its type; however, it looks similar to this non dug one. Also found a couple tombac buttons, a pewter button, and an iron thingy. Thanks and good luck out there.
IMG_6795.jpeg
IMG_6796.jpegIMG_6800.jpegIMG_6801.jpeg

Upvote 35
Yes it is a 1787 Connecticut, a 15-F variety to be exact. This variety is currently listed as a rarity 3, which means 201 to 500 currently estimated to survive. Congratulations, nice find.

Yes it is a 1787 Connecticut, a 15-F variety to be exact. This variety is currently listed as a rarity 3, which means 201 to 500 currently estimated to survive. Congratulations, nice find.
Thanks for the info. That rarity factor really makes me wish it had held up better in the soil … oh well. Thanks again.

Actually, for Connecticut copper varieties, that is pretty common. With Connecticut coppers most varieties have a rarity rating of R5, 31-75 known, or higher. Great piece of history there!

Actually, for Connecticut copper varieties, that is pretty common. With Connecticut coppers most varieties have a rarity rating of R5, 31-75 known, or higher. Great piece of history there!
Thank you for the additional info. I wonder how much of the low mint totals is due to incomplete records versus low actual production. Interesting either way. I do like the CT coppers and how there are so many varieties. I wish mine had held up better.. oh well.

Fantastic find :) WELL DONE !!!

Thank you for the additional info. I wonder how much of the low mint totals is due to incomplete records versus low actual production. Interesting either way. I do like the CT coppers and how there are so many varieties. I wish mine had held up better.. oh well.
I collect them by variety, and in my opinion the reason so many are listed as high rarity is the fact that they can be quite tricky to attribute, especially lower grade pieces, that a lot of them have just never been attributed. Probaby die life wasn't the best as well, and add to that 200 plus years of attrition!

Finds are getting slim, as I am running out of spots. I did manage to find what I think is a Connecticut copper yesterday near an old homesite, or at least what is left of one. If you use your imagination, you can see a left facing bust on the obverse. The reverse has slightly better detail, and I believe I see 1787 at the bottom. There are many legal and counterfeit varieties of this coin, so I don’t know its type; however, it looks similar to this non dug one. Also found a couple tombac buttons, a pewter button, and an iron thingy. Thanks and good luck out there.View attachment 2140356View attachment 2140357View attachment 2140358View attachment 2140359
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

I collect them by variety, and in my opinion the reason so many are listed as high rarity is the fact that they can be quite tricky to attribute, especially lower grade pieces, that a lot of them have just never been attributed. Probaby die life wasn't the best as well, and add to that 200 plus years of attrition!
That all makes sense to me … thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back