What's new

1788 Mass Cent, 1739 KG, Farthing, Fancy Dandy Button

Ahab8

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2013
Messages
8,427
Reaction score
8,293
Golden Thread
2
Location
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got out this morning. Been a tough stretch. Found an old cellar hole that I dint know existed. I got a copper coin signal and pulled out a round disc but it had scalloped edges or waves around the perimeter. It turned out to be my 2nd Mass cent. Ac1788 and much nicer than my other one. I couldn't see any detail so I didn't even know if it was a coin. Also dug a kg that was very deep. It was close to the tree coin area and I was really thinking that it might be #2. Perfect 80 signal both ways and easily 10" down. Also found a few buttons. One is iron which is a first. Another is a 4 holer but looks really old. I also found a big domed button that turned into the fanciest gold gilted button I've ever found. Got out briefly last week and found a farthing that's destroyed and a trigger guard which is a first. Thanks for looking guys
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
 
Upvote 68
Every time I see your name on a post, I know there's going to be some interesting finds.

Nice digs.
 
Congrats on the Mass copper Abe, what great detail on it still. The gold domed button is really nice, great assortment of inlay details on it. Just was reading a bit on the varieties of Mass cents.Massachusetts Coppers: Introduction
 
Nice finds Abe, congrats!
 
Great job on the Mass cent, I don't think ive ever seen one of those before!

very cool design
CONGRATS!
 
Guess we know where your going to be spending some time. Awesome finds!!!! :notworthy:
 
Beautiful, Thanks for sharing all that history. Things that some of would never see.
 
Wow Ahab... The Mass cent is so awesome!!! :)
 
NICE Mass. Copper!
 
That Mass copper is a beautiful coin. You don't see too many of those posted. Great finds! :)
 
WOW! Now that is an excellent find!!! Congrats again!!!!
 
Love that old copper, Sweet Mass cent!! Nice pile of flatbuttons too.
 
Super nice finds Ahab! Was the scalloping of the edge done Post-Minting? I ask because it has the appearance of being hand done and I can find no reference to a 1788 Massachusetts Cent with a scalloped edge!


Frank
 
Super nice finds Ahab! Was the scalloping of the edge done Post-Minting? I ask because it has the appearance of being hand done and I can find no reference to a 1788 Massachusetts Cent with a scalloped edge!


Frank
That my belief Frank. I don't believe that would have been done at the mint. But it amazes me that people did these things with such precision. It's really quite impressive. I love the unique stuff like this
 
That my belief Frank. I don't believe that would have been done at the mint. But it amazes me that people did these things with such precision. It's really quite impressive. I love the unique stuff like this

Considering you found it at an old cellar hole site, the person who did the scalloping was likely snowed in and had cabin fever. The things that folks have done or will do when they are bored with nothing else to do always amazes us! LOL!!


Frank
 
Very nice Abe. Those wavy edges threw me off when you texted them to me, but I'm glad you got a super solid ID. As always you wowed me with another button. That one gold tilted one is awesome.

Nice show!
 
That mass cent is great:headbang: What a cool design:thumbsup: great relics, love the trigger guard:rocks:
 
Well, a Mass. copper is about as close as you can get to Mass. silver. I'm sure that signal really had you excited, and although that's a unique, cool looking coin, I know you were disappointed. Still a good hunt regardless. Thanks for the heads-up pics.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom