What's new

1788 Mass Cent, 1739 KG, Farthing, Fancy Dandy Button

Ahab8

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2013
Messages
8,427
Reaction score
8,293
Golden Thread
2
Location
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got out this morning. Been a tough stretch. Found an old cellar hole that I dint know existed. I got a copper coin signal and pulled out a round disc but it had scalloped edges or waves around the perimeter. It turned out to be my 2nd Mass cent. Ac1788 and much nicer than my other one. I couldn't see any detail so I didn't even know if it was a coin. Also dug a kg that was very deep. It was close to the tree coin area and I was really thinking that it might be #2. Perfect 80 signal both ways and easily 10" down. Also found a few buttons. One is iron which is a first. Another is a 4 holer but looks really old. I also found a big domed button that turned into the fanciest gold gilted button I've ever found. Got out briefly last week and found a farthing that's destroyed and a trigger guard which is a first. Thanks for looking guys
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
 
Upvote 68
Nice hunt Abe. I would love to find a MA copper. I have found coppers where somebody stood them on the rim and bear them with a hammer all around to make a lip on the rim, but that scalloped edge on yours is some interesting handiwork.
 
Excellent hunt! That old copper Massachusetts cent has some nice detail.
 
Sweet, sweet finds Ahab8! Thanks for sharing. I probably will not ever see anything like those come out of the ground around here, seeing how I live in Ohio, so it's really cool to be able to see stuff like that in this forum. Thanks again, and congrats!
 
Love that worked edge... really adds to the coin!
 
Thanks guys. Yup I'm happy to have a hand worked coin and the decent detail is a nice bonus. I so thought I was digging up something very old and special with that KGII. It really makes you wonder how deep some of these mid 1600s items could be. I'm pretty sure if the tree coin and cob hadn't been on the top edge of an eroding bank they may have been too deep to find. So much of this hobby is being in the right place at the right time. Luck certainly plays a part in all of this
 
Love them old coppa's
 
What a really cool Mass copper Abe and that ornate button is impressive. Get out there and find more!
 
Fantastic finds, Abe. Love that Mass copper. I know for sure that one day I will read one of your posts and you will have found tree coin #2. Best of Luck.
Geoff
 
Once again, another fantastic hunt Abe! :occasion14:
Thankfully the date side of your Mass Penny is in great shape. It's very unusual to see the 'scalloping' detail on the edge, I think it makes it that much more personal.

The button with the gilt is just beautiful man, congrats! :notworthy:
Dave
 
Great finds Abe. Strange that someone would take the time to crimp the edge of a coin like that. Definitely gives it a unique look though. I'd be pretty psyched with a find like that. Congrats brother!
 
Killer stuff..... again. Congrats Brother.
 
Great finds- A history lesson every time!

-- Jeff --
 
OMG, well congrats! ...now I will hang my head and cry.
 
Thanks guys. Yup I'm happy to have a hand worked coin and the decent detail is a nice bonus. I so thought I was digging up something very old and special with that KGII. It really makes you wonder how deep some of these mid 1600s items could be. I'm pretty sure if the tree coin and cob hadn't been on the top edge of an eroding bank they may have been too deep to find. So much of this hobby is being in the right place at the right time. Luck certainly plays a part in all of this

Agreed. One time I chased down my son who ran off, detected where I caught him, and found a '03 barber half.

Anyway, that Mass cent is unique with unreal character. Best Mass cent I've seen! Congrats Abe
 
YES MR.GREGORY PECK IM BACK AND WHAT MESS OF FINDS DO HAVE POSTED NOW . DANG SO THATS A MASS CENT YOU SAY , PRETTY NEAT FROG LEG EAGLE ON IT AND I BET THAT THING WILL REALLY LOOK NICE ONCE CLEAN . ALSO THE THIMBLE IS THAT SILVER ? THE BUTTON HAS A NEAT DESIGN AND ALL IN ALL GOOD DAYS FINDS.
 
YES MR.GREGORY PECK IM BACK AND WHAT MESS OF FINDS DO HAVE POSTED NOW . DANG SO THATS A MASS CENT YOU SAY , PRETTY NEAT FROG LEG EAGLE ON IT AND I BET THAT THING WILL REALLY LOOK NICE ONCE CLEAN . ALSO THE THIMBLE IS THAT SILVER ? THE BUTTON HAS A NEAT DESIGN AND ALL IN ALL GOOD DAYS FINDS.

YeaAAHHHHHHHH SUTPHIN!!!!! Good TO SEE YOU BACK BROTHER.
 
YES MR.GREGORY PECK IM BACK AND WHAT MESS OF FINDS DO HAVE POSTED NOW . DANG SO THATS A MASS CENT YOU SAY , PRETTY NEAT FROG LEG EAGLE ON IT AND I BET THAT THING WILL REALLY LOOK NICE ONCE CLEAN . ALSO THE THIMBLE IS THAT SILVER ? THE BUTTON HAS A NEAT DESIGN AND ALL IN ALL GOOD DAYS FINDS.
Just made my day brother! Glad you didn't cave to the whiners
 
Love the Mass copper. Must have been very high grade when lost.
 
Great looking Mass Copper Abe, that edge is real cool looking :thumbsup:
 
Man, what a great bunch of finds, Abe. I'm glad that the Mass. copper with that unique edge is also in such great condition, and the button is cool as all get out.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom