What's new

1790 VOC Dutch East India Duit, early barber, buffff...

Scrappy

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
9,215
Reaction score
14,047
Golden Thread
7
Location
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
7
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a faint hit about 30' from where I found a KG2 yesterday. I've been digging everything. This target was weak and choppy and I honestly thought I was digging a nail. But it was deep and I wanted something OLD, nail or else! It was under some FAT roots about 8" down, pay dirt at this site! Out popped a thin disk that I thought was a two cent piece worn razor thin...

I wiped it...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435361691.365094.webp

What the heck is that?! I texted Vino and Ahab for support. Turned out to be a East India Company trade "penny"...1790! Thanks fellas!

It's 20.5mm in diameter and just over 3 grams. I was stoked...

Started hunting again and 10 minutes later found a nail....wait, that couldn't have been...rescan...

1892 Barber dime!

Then about 5 feet away a low tone that pounded through the soil. A buff!

A good day.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435362981.353618.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435362992.936694.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435363001.446713.webp

Happy Hunts

Steve
 
Upvote 32
Really cool find Steve..
Here is the oic I text you.
But Abe gets the credit for that one!!!
 

Attachments

  • 1435363936662.webp
    1435363936662.webp
    31 KB · Views: 135
  • 1435363949163.webp
    1435363949163.webp
    29.3 KB · Views: 124
Really cool find Steve..
Here is the oic I text you.
But Abe gets the credit for that one!!!
You get partial credit.....and only partial because you jokingly told me it was a fake. I will say though, it's the biggest dang date I've ever seen on a "coin". I use "coin" so nobody argues it ain't a real coin. Lol.
 
Love the early Barber but seems like most posted here are heavily worn. I've got a merc that is so worn it is dateless. Dimes must have been the most popular coin back then
 
Now that's something you don't see posted every day
 
Now that's something you don't see posted every day

Very true. Although I don't think they're rare in other places, I think they're rarely dug in the states.
 
Quality finds! :thumbsup: WTG!
 
DAG GONE THERE SCRAPPYDOO I SEE YOU BEEN OUT DIGGING TO, WERE YOU SURPRISED OF YOUR FIND DID YOU JUMP UP AND DOWN OR DID YOU CRYYYYYY.......
 
as the Swamp People say YEAH, BABY, THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' 'BOUT. KILLER FIND
 
That's a very cool and unique find bud. I'm really liking that one. Congrats on another great effort
 
SWEET finds again!!! That is certainly something you don't see everyday! :occasion14:
 
Congrats on digging whispers and iffy's, Seems to have paid off :occasion14: Awesome coin.
 
Steve that's very cool, I have no idea on rarity or not but I know ive never heard of one before now, very cool!!
 
With the heavy Dutch representation in our area that is definitely an interesting find historically! Nice job :thumbsup:
 
With the heavy Dutch representation in our area that is definitely an interesting find historically! Nice job :thumbsup:

You're right about that Eric. I'm surprised about the 1790 date though, well after the peak Dutch "presence" in the colonies. I wonder if it was a novelty coin or was circulated as small currency?

Steve
 
Steve that's very cool, I have no idea on rarity or not but I know ive never heard of one before now, very cool!!

Nor had I really. I will say that it has the coolest looking numbering I've seen on anything I've found! Lol. Thx Chris
 
Nor had I really. I will say that it has the coolest looking numbering I've seen on anything I've found! Lol. Thx Chris
I see what you mean, that date is so pronounced, very cool!
 
That's a very cool and unique find bud. I'm really liking that one. Congrats on another great effort

It's definitely unusual. I read a little into the history of these things and it's amazing. The Dutch East India Company was so powerful in its hayday that it could mint it's own coins, and even wage war!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom