What's new

1790 VOC Dutch East India Duit, early barber, buffff...

Scrappy

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
9,215
Reaction score
14,047
Golden Thread
7
Location
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
7
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a faint hit about 30' from where I found a KG2 yesterday. I've been digging everything. This target was weak and choppy and I honestly thought I was digging a nail. But it was deep and I wanted something OLD, nail or else! It was under some FAT roots about 8" down, pay dirt at this site! Out popped a thin disk that I thought was a two cent piece worn razor thin...

I wiped it...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435361691.365094.webp

What the heck is that?! I texted Vino and Ahab for support. Turned out to be a East India Company trade "penny"...1790! Thanks fellas!

It's 20.5mm in diameter and just over 3 grams. I was stoked...

Started hunting again and 10 minutes later found a nail....wait, that couldn't have been...rescan...

1892 Barber dime!

Then about 5 feet away a low tone that pounded through the soil. A buff!

A good day.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435362981.353618.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435362992.936694.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435363001.446713.webp

Happy Hunts

Steve
 
Upvote 32
Best penny I ever seen posted! Very cool Steve.
 
Based on how thin you said it is it was probably acquired by a person with Dutch heritage in this area and circulated here for about 50 years as the equivalent of a large cent then either tossed or lost as these "substitutes" fell out of vogue.

You're right about that Eric. I'm surprised about the 1790 date though, well after the peak Dutch "presence" in the colonies. I wonder if it was a novelty coin or was circulated as small currency?

Steve
 
That's an unusual one for sure, it's always fun to speculate how it ended up being where you found it. Congrats!
 
Best penny I ever seen posted! Very cool Steve.

Thanks Brad, and I agree. It's definitely going in my own "banner case" along with other finds I hold dear.
 
Nice threefer'.
 
Haha, thx. A little girl and her dad came up to me just after I found it so I let her hold the 1790. I told her how old it was and she said "wow, that's almost as old as my daddy !"
 
Awesome find-and in pretty good shape
 
That's quite a variety of coins! The trade coin is a nice piece of history.

Congrats!
 
Great piece of history:occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom