1798 USA Bust Dollar found in UK Auction lot!

pattiewhack

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Not a detecting find but still a "treasure" find in my opinion! I know there are a lot of coin nuts on here so you might like this story: a friend of mine recently found this 1798 Bust Dollar buried in a group of European coins at a local auction here in the UK. He paid 37 Pounds Sterling (about $57) for the entire lot!

Well, when I saw the coin I alerted him of its value and took a few pictures to show the experts. He only collects UK coinage so we made a deal and now it's my coin!

It's a dead-on B-31/BB-115 Dollar; weight is perfect and the die cracks and die wear perfectly match known originals of this die pairing. I've showed it to experts who have given the thumbs up :thumbsup:

Soon she'll be off to PCGS for official verification!

:treasurechest: The value of this coin ranges from $1000 to $70000 (in this condition $3000-$5000) so I think this qualifies as TREASURE!! :2barsgold:

DSC00129_zpsbrh94pgs.jpg DSC00130_zpszud5m1wx.jpg DSC00132_zpstoihnoz7.jpg DSC00133_zpslzpwd8ii.jpg DSC00134_zpsvciuxvxe.jpg DSC00139_zpssgbvaaxd.jpg DSC00140_zpsuc3fjhgo.jpg DSC00141_zpswth7q0ig.jpg DSC00143_zpsvuhtl43z.jpg

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a story! The coin definitely looks legit. Congrats to you and your friend. Its nice to see that these treasures are out there to be found.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Lovely coin, your friend got lucky!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic find!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! I bet he crapped himself when he discovered the find in the lot! I know I would have, LOL. I have seen quite a few Counterfeits of these but never an authentic one in person and even advised the Sellers that the coins were not real. I agree that the coin appears to be authentic but advise at the same time, that the Chinese are very good at counterfeiting these coins.

Frank

OP
OP
pattiewhack

pattiewhack

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow! I bet he crapped himself when he discovered the find in the lot!

He actually had NO idea, but when I showed him the value he certainly did do a little dance!!

She's off to PCGS as soon as I can find a dealer to submit for me. I'll keep you guys updated!

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful coin hope your friend made out on the rest of the lot 'cause you sure did. Waiting to hear how it grades.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
nice find! The hair detail makes me think AU, but I think due to the strike weakness it will fall in around XF40 to 45? Just a guess though. What a nice coin!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that's an amazing coin! What a find.

There should be more over there. It's no secret that the bloody brits are still mad over our independence and are hoarding some of our most valuable coins.

Go get the rest!

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a find of a lifetime...always wanted one of those... Only ever held a few... And this story confirms what i have wondered for sometime, about US coins making it overseas like coins from overseas make it to us here....
Cant say awesome enough!!!!:headbang: :notworthy:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Now that's something that I'd like to find under my coil someday. Congrats on a great coin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions