1798 USA Bust Dollar found in UK Auction lot!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice, congratulations. Those older coins were truly works of art. I mean look at the edges.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool find, it'll be interesting to see how it grades out.

If PCGS grades it and they overlook the hit on the Obverse, the hit on the Reverse and the rim dings, then I would say VF-35! Of course, that is if they determine it to be genuine. It is a Pointed "9", Close Date, High "8" Obverse and 4 Vertical Lines in the Shield, Line Stars above the Eagle and 13 Arrows in the Eagle's right foot (on the left as you look at the Reverse) Reverse with a weak 3rd Arrow Shaft and almost polished out lower broadhead (point) on the 7th Arrow Shaft (counting from above the "U" and "N" in LIBERTY) and is either the broadhead for the 7th or 8th Arrow, so I believe that this makes it a Bolender 31 Variety. I was beginning to question the coin's authenticity until I found the Variety at the link below.

US 1798 POINT 9 Flowing Hair and Draped Bust Dollars 1794-1804 S$1 Coin Varieties

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread