1800s Church site gives up a Barber Dime!

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
1800's Church site gives up a Barber Dime!

Hey T-netters,hope you had a good day of swingin.My brother and I pounded this site last Saturday but figured there might be a few stragglers left. I'm glad i went back cause I found a nice 1898 Barber dime and an 1890 Indian head.Also a neat little pin back with a small red stone in the center,a porcelain knob and a decorative brass valve that I figure must have been from a gas oven? Thanks for havin a look!
Jerry

Attachments

• church road.JPG
    church road.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 689
  • church over view after.JPG
    church over view after.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 675
  • church overview before.JPG
    church overview before.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 664
  • church indian in the dirt.JPG
    church indian in the dirt.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 670
  • church barber in dirt identified.JPG
    church barber in dirt identified.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 677
  • church barber in dirt.JPG
    church barber in dirt.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 679
  • church barber 74 vdi.JPG
    church barber 74 vdi.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 697
  • church road.JPG
    church road.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 695
Upvote 0
Re: 1800's Church site gives up a Barber Dime!

Sweet finds Jerry. I just love the barber series and I have dug up some of those old brass gas valves also. Yours cleaned up pretty nice. I'm glad you got out and found those! 8)

Great looking finds, nice pics/ post congrats :thumbsup:. That Barber dime is in great shape too wtg.
Glenn

She sure is a Beauty, if you need any help at that site, my partner and I will be right over. LOL

HH,Ringfinder

man great finds! I'm still looking for a barber dime. Thanks for sharing the pics. gives me hope. :thumbsup:

Looks like a great place to hunt. If your on a hill detect the sloped ,south and west sides as far out as you can. A good place for hunters to sit on cool days to get warm.

Great looking finds. That barber is terrific, Indian is pretty good also. That porcelain thing is a bottle stopper with the bottom broken off, still has the wire fastener in it. HH
JDD

Nice finds again Jerry, you and your brother just seem to be magnets for the old coins and again I appreciate the info on the cleaning methods I hope to try them soon

HH
Slipperyjack

Dang!!!

Those are nice finds and that area is absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't give up on it yet, I bet there's more.

sparkymaster

John Deere Digger said:
Great looking finds. That barber is terrific, Indian is pretty good also. That porcelain thing is a bottle stopper with the bottom broken off, still has the wire fastener in it. HH
JDD
Thanks for the id on that bottle stopper!! Any idea what kind of bottles these were used on?

Wow, that looks like a great place to detect.

Congrats on your finds!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

GREAT pics Jerry. Sweet barber dime :thumbsup:

Here is some pics of some intact stoppers. If I did the pictures correctly, one says Weiss beer and the other Citrate of magnesia, so I guess they were used on a wide range of bottles. Sorry I don't have any bottles they would of went in. Hope this helps.
JDD

Attachments

• 000_0010_edited.jpg
    000_0010_edited.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 413
  • 000_0009_edited.jpg
    000_0009_edited.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 422

Nice pictures. Still my favorite coin . . . . Barbers :) Found a barber Half and quarter, still need to find the dime.

Jerry,

I'm SO glad that the research is paying off for you. BRAVO!

And excellent recovery and cleaning methods! Now I'm curious as to how you cleaned that brass valve. I won't clean buttons, suspender clips, or anything valuable that way, but I've found a bunch of those valves too--and I try to save all the brass for recycling. $$$ :) It'd be nice to be able to see what kind of metal I was dealing with (some are unknown--and if they're copper, they are NOT going in the brass bin LOL).

Regards,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back