What's new

1800s City Dump Site

  • Thread starter Thread starter pulltab
  • Start date Start date
P

pulltab

Guest
1800's City Dump Site

Several years ago while living in Alabama I came across an old city dumping site while I was metal detecting. This site was unbelieavable. When I came up on it I was in a ditch that was probably 4 feet deep and there were necks of bottles sticking out of the bank. Many 1900 Coke bottles, medicine, whiskey,ink bottles, and just about anything you could imagine. Me and a friend dug over about a two week period everyday for 3 or 4 hours. We took so many bottles out we could not tote them. We left many. My best find was a clear embossed whiskey bottle. I took it to the local museaum and showed it to them and they said there was a whiskey tavern in town that the bottle was named after and it had burnt down about 1880, so the bottle dated probably to the 1870's.
I have never had so much fun digging. That summer I did not do much detecting because that consumed my time.
About a year later my job transfered me and I had to move away, but about 2 years ago I took a friend and went back through there to see if things had changed and to my surprise it was just the way I had left it 5 years earlier. Maybe a little more grown up with bushes and trees but there were still bottle everywhere. I will never forget that place and if I ever get a chance I will go back and hunt again and hopefull bring out a few more goodies.
 
Re: 1800's City Dump Site

Hey Pull tab! Were you in Talladega?Talladega has a similiar ditch running thru it and bottles sticking out of the bank.What was the name of the whiskey you found?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom