1800's horse tack

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I detect around an area that once had a house and farm built in 1860. He is well known in our local history and accounts from the time said he "raised fine horses." It is overgrown now with just a cellar pit remaining. I think I found where his barn was. I see a debris field of nails and iron. What puzzles me is what appears to saddle concho. It's construction seems quite crude and the site layers back to a 1700's farm. Or someone could have recycled tack pieces when making new. This was about four inches deep. I am surprised to see leather still attached. Reading reports on the decay of leather, shoes have lasted over 40 years in landfills. The metal composition is tough to figure out. It is dense and heavy for its size, definitely no lead in there. The stirrups I have no idea how to date. The smaller iron one was near the concho. Happy to have found this bell in good shape. Haven't cleaned it but she still rings sweet. tres1.jpg tres2.jpg View attachment 1816925 tres5.jpg tres4.jpg

Upvote 5
OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. My father's side goes way back to the early 1800's original settlers in McKean County near Smethport.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan
8-)
:cat::occasion14::headbang:

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I'm learning.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard mate! :occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds, congrats! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread