1802 One Cent Piece! Holy crap...now how do i clean it???

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was giving up my hunt for the evening, and scanned on my way back and pow!

I'm new to coins hunting and metal detecting. I know better than to clean it with anything harsh (my grandfather ruined early 1800 half dollars that way), but I'm so proud that I want it cleaned.

My earliest prior to this was a 1967 quarter so this blew my socks off. I danced around like a kid again;)

Attachments

• image-1994496587.jpg
    image-1994496587.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 347
Upvote 13

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read it is illegal to Metal detect the parks in the New York Metro area, I always thought it would be amazing to MD some of those tiny little triangular parks that were formed when the cow trails became the monikered (as opposed to numbered) streets of the East village . Do you know if anyone ever tries to get away with it, Do you ever seer covered holes in the parks in any of the Burroughs or Manhattan?

I am quoting this from brochure I picked up from the Task Force For Metal Detecting Rights Foundation. Quote:: In 1997, all NYC beaches and some public parks were reopened to Metal Detecting, under a permit system established with the Department Parks due to the efforts of the Task Force. In 2010, three additional parks were added and in 2011 five additional parks were added to the NYC Parks Metal Detecting Permit because of Task Force direct involvement. So my point is yes you can detect some parks and the beach with a permit.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not use olive oil. I quit using it as it darkens the coin consideradly and there is no way to reverse it. Use mineral oil. It is a bit slower but does not darken the coin. As to value you can not go simply by condition of the detail. A coin may have xf detail but do to pitting and corrosion it is basically a filler as far as numismatic value goes. Unless it is a rarity it is not worth more then the "good" value at best.

I checked with a local coin guy and he said what you did verbatim. Thanks for the good info

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That came out awesome...please don't coat that in Olive Oil or I guarantee you will regret it/ Olive oil is for salads, not coppers!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very nice draped bust - congrats on your first and for finding one with such great detail. :)

colebear

Feb 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I just found my first draped bust this week and it was an 1802 as well! Cool digs.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've cleaned my indians with olive oil,I don't notice any change. Maybe the trick is to not leave them in as long:dontknow: I almost completely destroyed a 1803 large cent with the peroxide,I won"t use it again.

DCRJerry

Greenie
Nov 30, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ProPointer
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever used Verdi-Care? It has helped a lot on my Indian Head Cents.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Peroxide doesn't react with metal, so any detail lost during peroxide cleaning wasn't really detail at all but essentially dirt that molded into the detail itself while the coin was corroding. You will eventually lose it whether you clean it or not, since it's now out of the ground and will presumably be handled more often once again.

Well, since you're in NY, I'd say you have many more opportunities to excel!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions