1802 One Cent Piece! Holy crap...now how do i clean it???

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was giving up my hunt for the evening, and scanned on my way back and pow!

I'm new to coins hunting and metal detecting. I know better than to clean it with anything harsh (my grandfather ruined early 1800 half dollars that way), but I'm so proud that I want it cleaned.

My earliest prior to this was a 1967 quarter so this blew my socks off. I danced around like a kid again;)

Attachments

• image-1994496587.jpg
    image-1994496587.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 347
Upvote 13

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Heat up a small amount of peroxide in the microwave for about 30 sec. Drop the coin in for about 30 sec per side, and dab dry. Repeat as necessary.

Actually, given the condition in which most coins are dug, they MUST be cleaned to have any numismatic value.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like cti said...keep repeating until it stops fizzing....by the look of the coin your going to need alot of dips...In between brush with toothbrush. ..then place in olive oil..you will then see as much detail as u can...the longer u leave in the oil thw better it will get....sometimes 3 to 4 months....good luck...post pic after for us.....Great save by thw way...George

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Agree, Hot Peroxide Is A Good Method.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha, I love it, 1967 to 1802, sweet. Good work finding that old coin, nice save.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice large cent! AND you can read the date clearly! :occasion14: Being you first, and this is just my opinion, Personally I wouldn't try and clean it. The first 2 I found were early ones like yours. I tried cleaning them, and pretty much lost the dates and a lot of detail. But that's just me. Anyways, Congrats on a nice early coin!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally try to avoid cleaning coppers unless there are absolutely no details visible. Just keep in mind that there's always the chance that your old coin may come out of peroxide looking even worse than it does now. Just my two cents, but if you're really happy with this coin then I wouldn't risk cleaning and potentially ruining it. Or at least you may want to wait til you have a less old copper to try it on. Drape busts are hard to come by, who knows how long it will be until you find another!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice large cent! AND you can read the date clearly! :occasion14: Being you first, and this is just my opinion, Personally I wouldn't try and clean it. The first 2 I found were early ones like yours. I tried cleaning them, and pretty much lost the dates and a lot of detail. But that's just me. Anyways, Congrats on a nice early coin!
Oh yeah, This was before I had access to all this good info on cleaning and preservation on this site! I think I'll try the peroxide on a couple to see what happens.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not supposed to go from a 1967 Quarter to a killer 1802 Large Cent.
Screws the curve up, big time.
Seriously, it's in the bylaws.
But I'm sure your dancing made up for it.
Kudos!

If you do do the peroxide, I usually put about an inch in a yoghurt container, nuke till its bubbly, (25-30seconds),
and then drop in.

Carl

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Peroxide doesn't react with metal, so any detail lost during peroxide cleaning wasn't really detail at all but essentially dirt that molded into the detail itself while the coin was corroding. You will eventually lose it whether you clean it or not, since it's now out of the ground and will presumably be handled more often once again.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Cleaned it a little, and as much as I'm willing to do I think. Didn't loose the detail thankfully!

1967 to 1802 - now where do I have left to go? Just kidding...everything in between!

Attachments

• image-2312246259.jpg
    image-2312246259.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 167
  • image-3433904660.jpg
    image-3433904660.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 206

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaned it a little, and as much as I'm willing to do I think. Didn't loose the detail thankfully!

1967 to 1802 - now where do I have left to go? Just kidding...everything in between!

Perfect. .now coat it with olive oil and leave it go....

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAN! that one came pretty nice! Did you do the peroxide?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin looks really great for its age. I'd leave it be now and look at it often. One of my first coins last year was a 1757 kg 2. You just never know. Put yourself in the right sites and the possibilities are endless. Congrats on a beautiful draped bust. That's a really great coin for one of your first

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In case you did not know, large cents are not only identified by dates. They are also identified by varieties within the date of mintage. Your coin likely has enough detail to have the variety identified. Even though the 1802 large cent had a pretty high mintage (3.4 million), there were roughly 20 varieties of the 1802 coin. Some of these varieties were quite scarce. With any luck, some of the pros on this site may be able to help identify it. Congratulations!

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Came Out Great. Did You Use Peroxide?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread