Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recent hunt was interesting for sure. Found at a area I can walk to right from my home. This makes 4 of the same year 1803 US One Cent Draped Busts I have found here on the cape. Found other dates as well but this one is in better than usual condition. I do have one 1803 which is better than this one. It's now at PCGS getting graded. Guess I now have another one to send. Found this sterling silver top to a brush with monogram. Rang a solid 99 on my Equinox 900. Thought for sure it was going to be a silver dollar. Dang, but still nice. Also part of a old barrel tap. This 1832 Nova Scotia one penny token. I find lots of them here for some reason. This one is totally slick on the reverse. Also a nice dandy button, better than most and still has it's shank. Thanks for looking! Bill

Attachments

• 1803 1.jpg
    1803 1.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 1803 reverse 2.jpg
    1803 reverse 2.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 143
  • silver brush top.jpg
    silver brush top.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 133
  • tap coin button.jpg
    tap coin button.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 46
OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...that LC is in excellent condition! I'd be curious to know what grade you get back from PCGS on your other specimen. Nothing better than being able to walk to a productive detecting site. Good for you!
This is the one I sent for grading, dirt and all. They say not to clean them. Will let you know!

Attachments

• US 1 cent 1803 face.jpg
    US 1 cent 1803 face.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 31

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recent hunt was interesting for sure. Found at a area I can walk to right from my home. This makes 4 of the same year 1803 US One Cent Draped Busts I have found here on the cape. Found other dates as well but this one is in better than usual condition. I do have one 1803 which is better than this one. It's now at PCGS getting graded. Guess I now have another one to send. Found this sterling silver top to a brush with monogram. Rang a solid 99 on my Equinox 900. Thought for sure it was going to be a silver dollar. Dang, but still nice. Also part of a old barrel tap. This 1832 Nova Scotia one penny token. I find lots of them here for some reason. This one is totally slick on the reverse. Also a nice dandy button, better than most and still has it's shank. Thanks for looking! Bill
That liberty is in really nice shape! Love the detail! I'll be in Sandwich, Ma...near Mashpea...(love the names on the cape.):)...this weekend just exploring towns with my wife. Looks like you are in a great location!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice one! Those 1803 DBs were not a large mintage but they must have been struck well. I have a couple in really decent condition and it seems that the ones posted on the forums are often in much better shape than DBs from other years.

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one! Those 1803 DBs were not a large mintage but they must have been struck well. I have a couple in really decent condition and it seems that the ones posted on the forums are often in much better shape than DBs from other years.
Yes, I so far found about a dozen DB in total. I have three 1803's and they are are better than the rest. Maybe the quality of the metal must have been different.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recent hunt was interesting for sure. Found at an area I can walk to right from my home. This makes 4 of the same year 1803 US One Cent Draped Busts I have found here on the cape. Found other dates as well but this one is in better than usual condition. I do have one 1803 which is better than this one. It's now at PCGS getting graded. Guess I now have another one to send. Found this sterling silver top to a brush with monogram. Rang a solid 99 on my Equinox 900. Thought for sure it was going to be a silver dollar. Dang, but still nice. Also part of an old barrel tap. This 1832 Nova Scotia one penny token. I find lots of them here for some reason. This one is totally slick on the reverse. Also a nice dandy button, better than most and still has it's shank. Thanks for looking! Bill
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 1803 LC has 6 subtypes. Yours looks like it’s a small date, small fraction. One of the most common subtypes. The rare one is large date, small fraction. $$$$

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, I so far found about a dozen DB in total. I have three 1803's and they are are better than the rest. Maybe the quality of the metal must have been different.
The metal composition was 100% copper from 1795-1855
I read your post and thought it might have been the reason-seems that environmental (dirt) has more of a bearing on the condition of the coins.

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The metal composition was 100% copper from 1795-1855
I read your post and thought it might have been the reason-seems that environmental (dirt) has more of a bearing on the condition of the coins.
I have a more sandy environment. Cape is Large sand bar with scattered pockets of good soil. That's why the Pilgrims passed the spot an went on to Plymouth. The sand does keep what soil we have dryer. Less moisture in the soil may have something to do with it.

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All that cool stuff and you can walk there from your home....It doesn't get much better! Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread