1810 Large Cent at ancestors house site!

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today I went to my 8th great grandfathers house (1760's built), on a whim. I had pounded the hell out of the yard before, and never found anything of any real interest other than a period lead filled rosette. Today when I went however, the current landowner cleared away a larger area of brush than usual when she was brush hogging, opening up exactly three more feet of space for me to detect. Would you believe three feet was all I needed to find this 1810 Classic head Large cent!?

20230513_142600~2[1].jpg 20230513_142537[1].jpg

It's very worn, but the date can be seen. I don't have any cleaned up pics yet, but I'll post when I do. This is the first large cent I've found with a date, and it's really special considering that this was likely lost by my 7th great grandfather who inherited the house after his dad died in 1809.

I also made this little friend.

20230513_150522~2[1].jpg

Upvote 34

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I went to my 8th great grandfathers house (1760's built), on a whim. I had pounded the hell out of the yard before, and never found anything of any real interest other than a period lead filled rosette. Today when I went however, the current landowner cleared away a larger area of brush than usual when she was brush hogging, opening up exactly three more feet of space for me to detect. Would you believe three feet was all I needed to find this 1810 Classic head Large cent!?

View attachment 2083621 View attachment 2083622

It's very worn, but the date can be seen. I don't have any cleaned up pics yet, but I'll post when I do. This is the first large cent I've found with a date, and it's really special considering that this was likely lost by my 7th great grandfather who inherited the house after his dad died in 1809.

View attachment 2083623
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great recovery Rusty on the LC.
What was the time frame of your family ownership of the home site?
Liking your cool looking friend, great color 👌

It was in the family from 1772(ish) to about the 1870s. It went from one grandfather, down to the next for about 100 years before a neighbor bought the land. The original grandfather built the house on land he bought from William Penns family, and all of his kids lived either on that farm, or right down the road about a mile or so away. So far I have permission to hunt all of their properties, and they've given me my first large cents, indian head pennies, a civil war musket, silver plated knick nacks, etc. Still waiting on my first silver coin though. :)

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2083621 View attachment 2083622

View attachment 2083623
first year classic head aint too shabby man, that salamander is awesome!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find thanks for the update !!! Your point proves that you do not need a large piece of land to find something good :)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was in the family from 1772(ish) to about the 1870s. It went from one grandfather, down to the next for about 100 years before a neighbor bought the land. The original grandfather built the house on land he bought from William Penns family, and all of his kids lived either on that farm, or right down the road about a mile or so away. So far I have permission to hunt all of their properties, and they've given me my first large cents, indian head pennies, a civil war musket, silver plated knick nacks, etc. Still waiting on my first silver coin though. :)
Thank you Rusty for the history of the old family site.
It would be safe to say anything pre-1870s was touched by your kin folks.
That is a treasure in its self right there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread