1811 Russian 2 Kopek

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
To put this find is perspective, you have to understand that in 15 months of detecting I have found 2 Indian Head Pennies ( 1876, 1880) and 3 Wheaties ( 1916, 1919, no date). All the rest has been clad. All my good finds have been from one old spot that I have found. Since it is up near a friends house 4 hours away from home, I only get to search it once in a while. Monday was my 6th hunt at the spot and after having found the IH's on my first and third hunts, I have been praying for some Seated coins. I was really determined to make a score on Monday. A lot of trash as usual. After the undated wheatie which I found on my first hole I went 2 hours with nothing good. Then I found a Jefferson nickel at a couple of inches. I checked the hole, and it was still beeping. I go into the left side of the hole and dig a bit, and out pops a large greenie. I thought I had my first large cent. It wasn't meant to be. I soon realized it was not a US Coin. Took a long time to get a date off it. Only when I cleaned it at home could I confirm the date, and I used the internet to ID the coin. It is an 1811 c - Russian 2 Kopek. Who knows how it got to Mass. With all my many hunts with practically nothing to show for it, as you can imagine, I was pretty pumped. Since I found this at 2- 3 inches in a pretty obvious spot, I am hoping there is still a chance to find old silver here - ie. it doesn't seem like this place was ever hunted by anyone else. What do you guys think - is this virgin territory ? So far I found this coin, 2 IH's. 2 Wheaties, and 4 clad coins, but have already done 20 plus hours of hunting at this spot - no coin more than 4-5 inches down. Did someone cherry pick the silver ?

Upvote 0
Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice find, and as always even if someone hunted it before no place is ever hunted out. congrats and I'm sure there is silver in your future, just keep swinging the detector and sooner or later your coil will find it. good luck and hh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread