Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was slow attempting to clean this button I found last Fall. I assumed it would not have much gold leaf intact under all that dirt. I decided to soak the button in white vinegar for 24 hours and then brush it with a tooth brush with some Dawn dish soap and water. Worked pretty well. I was surprised that the Gold leaf was mostly intact (and stayed!) . Probably more heavily leafed than regular buttons.

So I'm not sure where this button falls in history. It has 13 stars verses the one pictured below from GW button website. That button has 17 stars. 1803 would have been 17 states had joined the union. So maybe they went back to 13 stars instead of adding 18 stars when Louisiana joined in April 1812. Make sense to me anyway. My 13 star would have to been 1790 which I don't think it's that early.

Attachments

• eagle  button 3.jpg
    eagle button 3.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 27
  • button 1.jpg
    button 1.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 28
  • US-Official-and-Diplomatic-Service-OD-6-B-RJ-Silversteins-georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com...jpg
    US-Official-and-Diplomatic-Service-OD-6-B-RJ-Silversteins-georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com...jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cape Hunter GREAT JOB :)
very nice looking button. How did you clean it so good ?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That cleaned up very nice.
What strength if white vinegar?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOL, right out of the plastic bottle. I have used it straight in the past with out issue. Although I was nervous on this button.
They make different grades of WV.
Food, cleaning
That was I eluding to. Here is a little snippet
"
Well, without getting into the geeky minutia, full strength vinegar contains 6% acetic acid, and double strength vinegar contains 10% acetic acid. Regular 'white' vinegar only contains 5% acetic acid, and that's the stuff responsible for the cleaning aspect of vinegar. So in this case, more is indeed better."
Then there spirit vinegar also.yes probably TMI 😆

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread