1824 large cent at cellar hole

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
I was able to get out detecting on Friday in cold, windy weather to a remote cellar hole that has previously given me two large cents and a Conestoga bell. Apologies for posting to Today's Finds several days after the fact, but the coin needed extensive treatment with peroxide to remove thick crud and green corrosion before posting. It turned out really well considering what it looked like when I recovered it. The coin was resting face-up, and the obverse side only had thick, brown crud on it. The reverse was facing down, and it was caked with bright greenish blue corrosion. I had assumed the reverse was toasted under the green stuff, but the peroxide treatment worked wonders.

This coin was a healthy 4 inches down, plus a 2" thick tree root right over top of it (of course). The Simplex+ produced a strong hit in the 86-88 range that improved to 89-90 when I kicked off the loose dirt and leaves. It's my second large cent so far in 2024, the other being completely blank, and identifiable as a large cent only by size, thickness, and target ID. What a bummer that one was. Well, the 1824 is in reasonably good shape for a copper, so it makes up for the blank one.

My only other recovery on the day was a brass rein guide that was snapped off and crushed, presumably by a horse. Someone had a serious horsie accident on that hill back in the day! I thought the rein guide was a large cent for sure, based on target ID, but it's just a squashed relic. One of the nice things about this site is that the 1824 cent is the newest coin I have recovered, and there is a minimal amount of modern trash (shotgun shells, bullets, bottle caps). I wish I had a dozen sites that were this easy to hunt.

7k0QySq.jpg

Upvote 23

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a beauty. Nice job on the clean up. Congrats!

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was able to get out detecting on Friday in cold, windy weather to a remote cellar hole that has previously given me two large cents and a Conestoga bell. Apologies for posting to Today's Finds several days after the fact, but the coin needed extensive treatment with peroxide to remove thick crud and green corrosion before posting. It turned out really well considering what it looked like when I recovered it. The coin was resting face-up, and the obverse side only had thick, brown crud on it. The reverse was facing down, and it was caked with bright greenish blue corrosion. I had assumed the reverse was toasted under the green stuff, but the peroxide treatment worked wonders.

This coin was a healthy 4 inches down, plus a 2" thick tree root right over top of it (of course). The Simplex+ produced a strong hit in the 86-88 range that improved to 89-90 when I kicked off the loose dirt and leaves. It's my second large cent so far in 2024, the other being completely blank, and identifiable as a large cent only by size, thickness, and target ID. What a bummer that one was. Well, the 1824 is in reasonably good shape for a copper, so it makes up for the blank one.

My only other recovery on the day was a brass rein guide that was snapped off and crushed, presumably by a horse. Someone had a serious horsie accident on that hill back in the day! I thought the rein guide was a large cent for sure, based on target ID, but it's just a squashed relic. One of the nice things about this site is that the 1824 cent is the newest coin I have recovered, and there is a minimal amount of modern trash (shotgun shells, bullets, bottle caps). I wish I had a dozen sites that were this easy to hunt.

7k0QySq.jpg
Thats a beauty. Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread