1831 US Matron Cent, Small Medallion, Thimble, 6 Buttons

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting old farm site. Completely overgrown in sections, difficult to be diligent with detecting coverage. I can keep the ticks at bay with rubber boots hosed with pyrethrum, but the minute I wade into brush they are waiting on branch tips. The dry weather of the northeast has kept the biting insect populations low.

A thin 1700's layer at the bottom, with strong antebellum scatter, then abandonment. It's given me six old coins thus far, three of them 1700's. Around 20 old buttons total. I will keep picking at this one for awhile. Probably hit it tomorrow. 45 minute walk in. I've figured out where the small farmhouse must have stood. A big dead tree landed on top of it then brambles sealed it in. When near-freezing temps return I will hit it hard.

Happy with the Nox 900. Way out in the woods I run the sensitivity full out at 28 with complete stability. It picks up small objects 6" plus deep. I hunt by tone alone. Since the targets are sparse I dig nearly all of them. Rusty iron always gives me the broken signals. Pre-1960's shotgun shells sound like great targets. I can almost always guess iron and brass shells correctly before digging. If they lost it, I'm going to find it.

This morning while passing a freshwater kettle hole I ran into a snapping turtle and slider turtle laying eggs not far apart. Surprised a nice red fox up close. Worth it just for the nature hiking.

Attachments

• tres443.jpg
    tres443.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 104
  • tres444.jpg
    tres444.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 70
  • tres445.jpg
    tres445.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
Upvote 27

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting old farm site. Completely overgrown in sections, difficult to be diligent with detecting coverage. I can keep the ticks at bay with rubber boots hosed with pyrethrum, but the minute I wade into brush they are waiting on branch tips. The dry weather of the northeast has kept the biting insect populations low.

A thin 1700's layer at the bottom, with strong antebellum scatter, then abandonment. It's given me six old coins thus far, three of them 1700's. Around 20 old buttons total. I will keep picking at this one for awhile. Probably hit it tomorrow. 45 minute walk in. I've figured out where the small farmhouse must have stood. A big dead tree landed on top of it then brambles sealed it in. When near-freezing temps return I will hit it hard.

Happy with the Nox 900. Way out in the woods I run the sensitivity full out at 28 with complete stability. It picks up small objects 6" plus deep. I hunt by tone alone. Since the targets are sparse I dig nearly all of them. Rusty iron always gives me the broken signals. Pre-1960's shotgun shells sound like great targets. I can almost always guess iron and brass shells correctly before digging. If they lost it, I'm going to find it.

This morning while passing a freshwater kettle hole I ran into a snapping turtle and slider turtle laying eggs not far apart. Surprised a nice red fox up close. Worth it just for the nature hiking.
Beautiful digs! Congratulations!

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the story and the finds. A great place, it seems like. More finds on the way. But the bugs sound formidable.

jose159

Jul 15, 2021
SW Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story...Great site! I have been liking my 900 also. In spots like that I have been using dp tones with vibrate (field 2)

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! I can't wait to see what else you dig up! The nature is sometimes the best part of my outings! Heard several owls tonight but was unable to spot them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread