Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lined up this property about a month ago, but wasn't able to hit it until today. With the temps here in NC today going to reach 95 degrees I put on my ShamWow underwear and bug spray and headed out. I started out in the front yard and quickly realized there were not the old coins I was hoping for. :dontknow: My oldest coins today were three 1940's wheat pennies.
I did dig up what looks to be an old lead dice in the front yard. I don't see any dots indented like dice have, but there are grid like markings on some of the sides scratched in. :icon_scratch:
The back yard turned up most of the older finds including a CW era North Carolina state seal button (23mm) with a fairly rare "S.A. Myers / Richmond Va." back mark. It is listed as NC 8a in Albert's button book. :thumbsup:

Another unusual find was the extra large parasol (umbrella) piece. Normally the ones we find are a lot smaller. This one may have been from a large sun umbrella? :toothy2:
Other finds include: lantern pieces, pocketknife, pottery shards, harmonica reed, and hem weight.
It was hot :sunny: but finding the NC button made it all worth it. Only one tick on me today too. :thumbsup:
Thanks for looking Folks,
MM

Attachments

• DSCN4229.JPG
    DSCN4229.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,404
  • MVC-151S.JPG
    MVC-151S.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,414
  • MVC-153S.JPG
    MVC-153S.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,400
  • MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,407
  • MVC-152S.JPG
    MVC-152S.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,403
  • MVC-154S.JPG
    MVC-154S.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,375
  • MVC-155S.JPG
    MVC-155S.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,386
  • MVC-156S.JPG
    MVC-156S.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,371
  • MVC-157S.JPG
    MVC-157S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,387
  • MVC-158S.JPG
    MVC-158S.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,404
Upvote 0
MM, the latest North South Trader's Civil War price guide lists your button as $150-350 in excvavated condition. Your button should be in the $250--300 range. Don't sell it and buy a garden tiller-LOL. I strongly suggest that you send a pic of the button in to American Digger and North South Trader Civil War magazines. WTG, Quindy.

VOL1266-X said:
MM, the latest North South Trader's Civil War price guide lists your button as $150-350 in excvavated condition. Your button should be in the $250--300 range. Don't sell it and buy a garden tiller-LOL. I strongly suggest that you send a pic of the button in to American Digger and North South Trader Civil War magazines. WTG, Quindy.

WOW, thanks Quindy. :thumbsup: That's some good news to come home to. :occasion14:
Do you think it has a chance in one of those mags? Not much gilt left, but not common either.
Thanks,
Dug

Hoo-Rah, like my father use to say in the Army! That "S.A. Myers Richmond" backmark is one of the best you can ask for great find :headbang: I DEFINITELY missed this post last week...my fault, as I wasn't signed on much; was reconnoitering sites for Rob and I! ;D That is a genuine Confederate-made North Carolina button congrats! :hello2: :headbang: :icon_thumleft: :wink:

{Sentinel} said:
Hoo-Rah, like my father use to say in the Army! That "S.A. Myers Richmond" backmark is one of the best you can ask for great find :headbang: I DEFINITELY missed this post last week...my fault, as I wasn't signed on much; was reconnoitering sites for Rob and I! ;D That is a genuine Confederate-made North Carolina button congrats! :hello2: :headbang: :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Thanks Josh.
We'll let you slide this time. :tongue3: :laughing9:
Hoo-Rah!!! :thumbsup:
-Dug-

That beats an old coin any day!!! Great button and one im looking for WTG

jamesbibb said:

Thanks James.
I'm hoping to detect with you sooner or later. Just leave me a few IH's and I'll be happy. :laughing9: :thumbsup:
-Doug-

:laughing7: thats funny! Still cant beleive I missed that one
ModernMiner said:
jamesbibb said:

Thanks James.
I'm hoping to detect with you sooner or later. Just leave me a few IH's and I'll be happy. :laughing9: :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Old Dog said:
Great presentation Doug!
especially enjoyed the confederate button.
Don't get to see many like that, thanks for sharing.

Thom

Thanks Thom. I wasn't expecting to find an NC button in the yard that's for sure. ;D My best button ever (a CSN Navy) was found in a yard a few blocks away a couple of years ago.
-Doug-

rtde3 said:
VOL1266-X said:
Your button should be in the $250--300 range. Don't sell it and buy a garden tiller-LOL. I WTG, Quindy.

Or an old boat motor! LOL! :D

Who let you two on this forum? I thought I had you clowns blocked. LOL

That parasol piece caught my attention too...thats a big one. I found a lot of hem weights a couple years ago but I don't think I have honestly found another one since :icon_scratch:. Nice digs all around and keep at it :icon_thumleft:.

allen said:
great looking bunch of finds.
I go cammando on those hot days with
only a tank top and my most comfortable
shorts.

Thanks Allen.
I bet you look stunning. :tongue3: :laughing9: :thumbsup:
-MM-

Wallhangers said:
That parasol piece caught my attention too...thats a big one. I found a lot of hem weights a couple years ago but I don't think I have honestly found another one since :icon_scratch:. Nice digs all around and keep at it :icon_thumleft:.

Thanks WH. :thumbsup:
That was the largest parasol piece I've ever seen. Probably a large lawn umbrella? :dontknow:
-MM-

BuckleBoy said:
Well Dug, Doug! :thumbsup:

Sir Will, is that you? :o :hello: :icon_scratch:
Long time no hear you relic digging maniac. I hope you are doing well Brotha.
Stay in touch,
Sir Doug of NC (aka "King of the Silver Umax) :tongue3: :laughing9:

I like that button and dice Doug. nice digging. Hope to see you up here with us soon.
Seabiscuit

Great finds as always Doug! :notworthy:

Amazing NC Confederate button and dice! :o

Keep cool man! 8)

Dave

Seabiscuit said:
I like that button and dice Doug. nice digging. Hope to see you up here with us soon.
Seabiscuit

Thanks Floyd.
Great to see you posting buddy. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Antiquarian said:
Great finds as always Doug! :notworthy:

Amazing NC Confederate button and dice! :o

Keep cool man! 8)

Dave

Thanks Dave.
I now have NC, Va, and SC buttons from this area. :thumbsup:
The die really made my day too. I've always wanted to find one. I've found other carved game pieces before in CW camps, but this was my first die.
Have a great weekend,
Dug

Thats a sweet little button! :headbang:

Sniffy said:
Thats a sweet little button! :headbang:

Thanks Sniffy. I only wish that his other brothers had been laying around in that yard too. ;D
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back