1842 LC, Biggest Colonial Button Ever. Plus A Nice Array Of Post 1900 Finds.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey everyone,

Back again with another post. Been out hunting and testing sites like usual. Came up with my first LC of the yr. It was found at the old park I mentioned before I've been hunting off and on. This is the 4th large cent I have dug from this park over the last few yrs.

Lots of finds still left in this place. Getting tough to hunt though now with all the underbrush. The Fall and spring is the time to be there.

However throughout my adventures of stopping off here and there I came up with a few nice early buttons. The one is extremely large. It was all folded up when found and was almost tossed into the big bin of relics.

But I decided to fold it back out and to my surprise it was a old colonial button. Very large with a design in the middle. It has to circles one bigger than the other. Is this a dandy button or tombac. I am pretty sure it dates to the 1770's.

I'm gonna have to go back to this site and check it over more. The button was down a good ten inches. I almost gave up on it. High grass and dry soil almost made me leave it.

Other than that nothing to exciting. Bunch of wheats 3 indian heads. A few washingtons nothing really spectacular but I'll take what I can get. Got a really cool old fold out cup. It's my third one ever. They always fool me when I find them I think they are a half a cut of pipe.

Until I get home and realize that it all folds out into a cup when pulled on. Probably from the 40's or 50's. Got a no date buff a 64 rosie. A nice cameo mary religous charm. Got a union signal and switch co pin.

Got about 30 indians on the yr so far. May find a hundred by the time dec is over. Once again hope you all like the pics and finds.

Thanks for looking,

HH Jer

Attachments

• old log home 004.jpg
    old log home 004.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 842
  • old log home 018.jpg
    old log home 018.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 788
  • old log home 020.jpg
    old log home 020.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 788
  • old log home 001.jpg
    old log home 001.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 838
  • old log home 005.jpg
    old log home 005.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 810
  • old log home 006.jpg
    old log home 006.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 835
  • old log home 007.jpg
    old log home 007.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 833
  • old log home 009.jpg
    old log home 009.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 830
  • old log home 008.jpg
    old log home 008.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 777
  • old log home 010.jpg
    old log home 010.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 827
  • old log home 011.jpg
    old log home 011.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 835
  • old log home 012.jpg
    old log home 012.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 821
Upvote 0
Hey Jer, nice finds. What detector were you using this time? Monty

Thanks alot guys,

Yes, It does look tumbled. I didn't tumble it though. I used peroxide to get the dirt off. Then polished on a soft cloth with mothers mag safe for all metals polish. This was the result I was looking for when done with it.

Monty, still swinging the white's Dfx with 1400 DD coil. This combo is great on this unit. It's abilities are unmatched. It goes deep covers alot of ground. The Dfx is a true gem of a detector. One of the best if not the best out there.

HH Jer

Formula1BMW said:
Hey, really nice finds. If you clean them with peroxide, does it just remove all the old stuff stuck to it, or shine them up? And does this hurt the value of the coins? Thanks.

First of all congrats on the great finds Jer!

Secondly, I do not think cleaning any dug coin will decrease its' value. Nearly any coin that is dug is considered "environmentally damaged" no matter how good it looks with the naked eye (with the exception of extreme rarities). On coins that appear to be corroded, I just clean them enough to bring out the detail on the coins. On many of the large cents, any additional cleaning will make the detail disappear, only because the detail is on the dirt. The metal underneath has already corroded away on these coins and the dirt is all that is holding these together.

As far as cleaning plated buttons with peroxide, I have not been happy with the results. I know there are some people who clean their buttons using that method, but I clean them with warm water and a soft bristled tooth brush.

Thanks alot guys,

Yes Neil, I would have to agree. Copper bronze ect get eaten alive at most sites here in the NE. I knew it was a good chance the date was gonna weaken alot once fully cleaned. It didn't have that nice brown patina under the dirt like the LC you have in your avatar.

I've found them like that and love when they clean up really well with that chocolate brown patina. This is just a hobby and ment for fun. I don't do it for the profit end of things. Although I have found thousands of dollars worth of items I will hold them for a long time.

I really enjoy cleaning up a item even if it doesn't abide by the next guys standards. These large cents and most coins we find don't have alot of value anyway. Just nice to go back in time for a moment and be the first to touch a item in so many yrs.

Thanks again guys,

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back