Lotta coins with new MXT, but . . .

chuckbordell

May 26, 2008
Missoula, mt
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Whites MXT
Hi all,

Here is todays haul using my new MXT. I was hunting in grass strips on an old block in town. As you can see in the pic, i found lotsa coins (77) including 2 IH pennies (1901, 1897) , a bunch of wheat cents, 2 coins from China (odd!) but no silver anywhere. This is unusual, I usually finc a dime or two each trip, so I'm wondering if I've got the new machine set incorrectly or just having a no-silver streak. Still, i like the detector and enjoyed my trip out.

Chuck

Attachments

• findsa.jpg
    findsa.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 493
Upvote 0
That is a bit strange . . . . . the MXT is a silver magnet too! I know nothing about setup on that machine as I am a Minelab guy. Congrats on the IH's though.

HH, Mark

I own a mxt and if there was silver there that det'c would of found it. The mxt will go down 16 inch to 17 on big objects. Where you usesing the preset diamons? try the relic mode, they say that mode goes deeper.the mxt is areal good mechine. I love mine I put the dd 14 on mine pick up about 2 more inches in dept and it didn't hotrock as much, and it quited the mechine down the 14 dd is abit heavyer. It slowed down my swing witch was perfict I would whip the stock coil to fast and fatieg my arm, you have a great mechine there, d
Don't dought it. LiftLoop

I'd say odds are you just didn't put your coil over a piece of silver. Looking at what you found you coins that would also appear in the silver range. Next time you might just find 10 silver and wonder why no wheats. There are no guarantees you will get silver every time out!! Congrats on the indians and hope to see silver next time!!

That's a nice bunch of finds. Oh well, no silver this time but that will make you go back and try try again. ;D jgas

Couple of nice IH's. :thumbsup:

Don't worry about the silver - sometimes it's just scarce.

Were the IH's and wheats deep? Some sites here you will find lot's of very deep wheats but the machine will not pick up the silver dimes. The reason the wheats are picked up is that they are a little larger and develop a "halo". Silver doesn't develop the halo and in our soil and it is next to impossible to pick up a silver dime at 9 inches.

Bob

Nice haul. I have an MXT too and have been hunting in Kalispell for the last couple months. Don't be discouraged by the lack of silver. Since March, I've found about a hundred wheats, four indian head pennies and a half a coffe can of clad. I've only found one Barber dime one Mercury dime, two Roosevelt dimes, one Barber quarter and two war nickels. The silver dimes that were about 4-5 inches down hit like pennies. You've probably already tried it but the thing that helped me the most was burying some various coins in my yard at different depths to see what signals the machine gives. The VDI gets less accurate the deeper you go. Anyway, keep at it and the silver will come. With what you've already found, you're in the right area. Have you looked up that Chinese cash coin to see the age? I found one just off Main St. in Kalispell that dated from 1790-1820. I forgot the website to ID those coins but if you Google "Chinese cash coin" you should be able to find it.

hey thanks everyone! I just need to get usd to the new machine. I've been using Fishers for 20 years, so this will just take some adjustment. Most of the wheat cents were about 2 inches and one of the Indians was less than an inch, so i guess it's not a depthj problem. I didn't use all the factory presets, turning the gain up that high really caused some annoying interference, so I backed off on it. Uncle Jesse - Nice to see another Montana guy on here! Sounds like you're having fun with your machine. I haven't checked the date on the cash coin-I find so many of them I kinda don't think about it.I also find a lot of Missoula bar and saloon tokens.

Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back