1842 LC, Biggest Colonial Button Ever. Plus A Nice Array Of Post 1900 Finds.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey everyone,

Back again with another post. Been out hunting and testing sites like usual. Came up with my first LC of the yr. It was found at the old park I mentioned before I've been hunting off and on. This is the 4th large cent I have dug from this park over the last few yrs.

Lots of finds still left in this place. Getting tough to hunt though now with all the underbrush. The Fall and spring is the time to be there.

However throughout my adventures of stopping off here and there I came up with a few nice early buttons. The one is extremely large. It was all folded up when found and was almost tossed into the big bin of relics.

But I decided to fold it back out and to my surprise it was a old colonial button. Very large with a design in the middle. It has to circles one bigger than the other. Is this a dandy button or tombac. I am pretty sure it dates to the 1770's.

I'm gonna have to go back to this site and check it over more. The button was down a good ten inches. I almost gave up on it. High grass and dry soil almost made me leave it.

Other than that nothing to exciting. Bunch of wheats 3 indian heads. A few washingtons nothing really spectacular but I'll take what I can get. Got a really cool old fold out cup. It's my third one ever. They always fool me when I find them I think they are a half a cut of pipe.

Until I get home and realize that it all folds out into a cup when pulled on. Probably from the 40's or 50's. Got a no date buff a 64 rosie. A nice cameo mary religous charm. Got a union signal and switch co pin.

Got about 30 indians on the yr so far. May find a hundred by the time dec is over. Once again hope you all like the pics and finds.

Thanks for looking,

HH Jer

Attachments

• old log home 004.jpg
    old log home 004.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 842
  • old log home 012.jpg
    old log home 012.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 821
  • old log home 011.jpg
    old log home 011.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 835
  • old log home 010.jpg
    old log home 010.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 827
  • old log home 008.jpg
    old log home 008.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 777
  • old log home 009.jpg
    old log home 009.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 830
  • old log home 007.jpg
    old log home 007.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 833
  • old log home 006.jpg
    old log home 006.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 835
  • old log home 005.jpg
    old log home 005.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 810
  • old log home 001.jpg
    old log home 001.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 838
  • old log home 020.jpg
    old log home 020.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 788
  • old log home 018.jpg
    old log home 018.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 788
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Here are the rest

HH Jer

Attachments

• old log home 016.jpg
    old log home 016.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 791
  • old log home 015.jpg
    old log home 015.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 797
  • old log home 014.jpg
    old log home 014.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 794
  • old log home 013.jpg
    old log home 013.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 819
  • old log home 017.jpg
    old log home 017.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 793

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Looks good Jeremy. 8) Nice to find those Large Cents. I know the silver Quarters are not that exciting but they seem to satisfy. ;D

The other day I checkout a 1764 site that had 1,600 troops camped. I remember when they were doing a major overhaul of the place in the 80's. I think they dozed all the original ground. From my finds and digging in spots the site looks like a bust.... oh well.

Bob

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nice assortment, as usual! After this rain, the temps are screaming to 90 the next few days; it'll make detecting a bit more of a chore, but maybe the rain will help the signals.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs!

Hey, got a close up shot of that old headstone?

Cr4zyH0rs3

Mar 3, 2007
MA.
Detector(s) used
X-70 & Myself
Yep nice finds there Jer. :thumbsup:

P.s. also nice little Cabin, I would love to camp out there for like a couple of weeks. 8)

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Way to go on coppa and "dandy" button. Did you tumble the coppa?

Kyle

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot guys,

I'll get a close up of the headstone here soon. I tried with the existing pic I had already on the computer and when it was cropped I couldn't get it to zoom in clearly enough. I have to re down load the pic from my camera and do it again.

I think the guy passed away in 1877 if I can recall the date on the stone. Lived I think from the early 1800's it says. He may have been the one that built this cabin. Actually I didn't hunt any of the grass area in front in or around the cabin circa 1804 I think.

This was not a posted Historic Land Mark. Had no plate on it saying so. I found through research that it sat right out on the edge of a newer park. I hunted the woods and the place has beeen gone over a million times.

Hits were very scarce. I was in the woods no more than 25 ft from the actual structure and it was almost hitless. But I always seem to find something in a tough spot.

I got the really nice floral type button in the heavy brush. I got a old gold plated ring stone missing. And a really thin piece of sterling that went to something looks like a bracelet but it is not. Maybe a pocket watch o ring or compact.

This cabin was huge so you know there were some nice finds made there in the past from other hunters. I just got there to late. Got about 20 shotgun shells in about 2 hrs. My partner had a few clads and a couple shells.

No one lives in the cabin. It is restored to what it would have looked like in the early 1800's. We had alot of these kind of cabins here in P.a and where I live. But they are getting really hard to come by now. All the land is built up to much.

No I didn't tumble the Coppa.

I peroxided it but the surface had been flaking away so much on it that I knew the patina wasn't gonna be nice when done. Maybe I should have tumbled it. But I like to try and hand clean my good old coppas. I then just buffed it up with some mothers to look presentable.

How do you think it came out overalll. It weakend the date alot but what are ya gonna do with a coin in pa soil for nearly 170 yrs right.

Thanks agin guys,

HH Jer

Formula1BMW

May 29, 2008
Montgomery, AL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Hey, really nice finds. If you clean them with peroxide, does it just remove all the old stuff stuck to it, or shine them up? And does this hurt the value of the coins? Thanks.

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks Forumla,

That is a very touchy subject. I don't know if I have a perfect answer for you but I will explain It the best as I can.

First off peroxide will get all the dirt off about 90% of it. And no it will not give any item any shine unless plating is still present on an item when the dirt is coming off of it. Or what you can call a gilting left on it.

My large cent after the peroxide method was done to it was buffed out with a metal polish to give it a nice look. You do it by hand on a soft cloth.

Now I wanna say yes cleaning your old coins will devalue them. But in this case with alot of knowledge of looking at coins and cleaning them as well. I new the surface had already been corroded on the coin basically before I even cleaned it.

Soil in that area isn't very kind to the items. So I opted to go ahead and just clean and zip the coin up is what I like to call it so it will display well even if features are missing on the item.

I don't however clean any rare silver coins. They get rinced with soap and water and that is it. I have found coins worth over 500.00 that I opted not to clean. I'm letting them one's go for someone else to decide on at one point when I sell them.

I have the skill to clean them well and experience but I have left them alone because value is to high on them to take the chances.

Hope this helps some. So much more to cover on that subject.

HH Jer

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds , Pics, and Post :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Congrats on tht BIG coppa

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, and great pics of the cabin . . . . I like the way the sun is shining through on the photos. Like someone else said, a dream location. Congratulations on the Large Cent!

HH, Mark

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot guys,

Yes, when I was taking the pic the way the sun was coming through was really cool. It was a nice blue ray coming right through the top of the roof and trees. It was truly a nice large cabin. I bet alot of people passed by this place.

It needs hunted again in the fall. Still may be a few oldies left in there to find. I'm sure who ever hunted it prior to me found some great stuff there.

HH Jer

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEAUTIFUL pictures, Jer! 8) And those buttons are awesome! Stunning variety of finds!

GREAT post as always! :wink: Nana

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks you guys,

Yes the site was a very beautiful place. And to make it even more intersting there was a grave in the front yard. Something may have happened here. Alot of indian attacks and scalping and alot of brutal things were going on in the colonial days.

Lots of forts were set up in the area for them to go to when the indians came through. I love searching for history.

HH Jer

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
Nice bunch of coins. I'm all for the peroxide method when you can't read them, but the LC looks like it was tumbled also. What did you shine it up with?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread