1850 Canadian Large Cent!

mack0238

May 10, 2015
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You CAN'T beat this weather.... I finally got out swinging the Etrac today.

So, I have a collection of sites written down as "Seated Sites" that I go to when I want to find low quantity, but high QUALITY (OLD) coinage.

I went to a dugout in the side of a hill that has a hand-dug, rock-lined well out in front of the dugout.

After digging some iron (on purpose) I decided to only dig good signals... that BAM... this giant coin came out. I thought it was some weird foreign coin at first... but it ended up being Canadian (ha, I suppose that's foreign..)

I finally beat my overall record for oldest coin!

Happy hunting everyone... Cheers to another week in the 40's here in Minnesota!:occasion14:

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 4
Mack0238,

Good score on the old coin the 1850 coin is actually considered a token as it was pre Confederation (1867).

Regards + HH

Bill

Thanks Bill!

I had no idea. That's interesting... I'm going to read the history of Canadian coinage...

Congratulations.
However I can't see pic's.

What county? That is a hell of a coin for Minnesota. I am still out there banging away with this weather. On the Mississippi? Would love to talk.

I found it in Rural Olmsted County, MN, I do a TON of research, and that's what I attribute to my ability to find pre Civil War stuff. You won't find me in a park:laughing7:

(In response to Joeyo's post)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back