What's new

<-1853-> Seated Half-Dime, on Two Hour Morning Hunt

OWK

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2014
Messages
1,002
Reaction score
1,292
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a chance to swing this morning, for the first time in a while. I have taken to hunting almost exclusively park and school sites that according to old maps/topos/and aerial photos, once had homes and farms in them. And if they have adjacent woods, all the better.

Went this morning to a very new school, just a few miles from home. On the back side of the school fields, is maybe 6 or 8 acres of woods, and on the other side of that, a public park with lots of fields.

The woods were once the site of a home dating to at least 1877. (and the 1850 map shows a home close by, but isn't accurate enough to be sure it is this one.

After hunting the ball fields close to the woods, I had found a couple wheaties (knew I was getting close)... and then entered the woods. Surprisingly, the house timbers and tin roof can be seen poking through the underbrush. Hard to swing (lot of vines...) but kicked out a 10 by 12 area. First good target in here was the telephone bell. (Really, really really trashy area).

Then another wheatie. Almost finished the little cleared spot, when I got a scratchy little chirp. Sounded off weakly from both directions in one axis, but only one direction in the other axis. VDI says its a clad dime at six inches. Now I don't dig too many clad dimes at six inches deep in the woods... so I figured I better dig this one. Had to chase it around with my pinpointer a little (man that's a tiny coin)

Bingo.

hd1.webp
hd2.webp
hd3.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 30
That's a great little coin there......congrats on the seated with arrows!! What's the item with the red dots??
 
That's a great little coin there......congrats on the seated with arrows!! What's the item with the red dots??


According to an identical one on eBay, that is an early motorcycle reflector.
 
Congrats on the half dime! And I'm glad you shared the picture of the telephone bell I dug one up yesterday and told my girlfriend it looked like some sort of a bell thing but wasn't sure until now! Congrats again and happy hunting
 
Not sure why, but I seem to be a telephone bell magnet.

I must have found a half-dozen of them.

Two, in the last month. I guess trashy house demolition sites are what I hunt most often.
 
I've dug a couple myself -- thought they were from bicycles, but I'll bet mine were also from old telephones :thumbsup:
 
I think the bells are nice relic finds! Might make a nice sub-display of just the bells you've found.
 
You are more determined than me, :notworthy: I would have waited until late fall after most of the undergrowth dies off. Your work paid off. That's a sweet seated. :occasion14: The half dime is still on my bucket list.
 
Very nice bud. I found the exact same coin earlier this year. My first half dime. Yours looks great
 
You are more determined than me, :notworthy: I would have waited until late fall after most of the undergrowth dies off. Your work paid off. That's a sweet seated. :occasion14: The half dime is still on my bucket list.

Oh.. I'll be going back in the fall... And with a smaller coil.

(I was swinging a 10x12 butterfly through all that trash)
 
Very nice bud. I found the exact same coin earlier this year. My first half dime. Yours looks great


Thanks. It was my first half-dime too. I'm pretty excited about the find.
 
Hell yeah that's a good one . M
 
Nice job on the Half Dime. That one is still on my bucket list.
 
Super nice find Owk, and I like the post too!
 
Awesome! Congrats!

I thought I found one of those one time, nope, modern dime that had been caught in a washer for a while and worn down. :BangHead:
 
Hard work definitely paid off! Sweet little piece of silver!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom