What's new

Pristine Farm Field 1848 Seated Liberty Dime

Beige

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2013
Messages
25
Reaction score
224
Golden Thread
0
Location
Edgar, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started the day off with a long drive to a 1830s lead mining and smelting/fur trade camp. I located the area and immediately found a large musketball. Game on. I managed to find 2 more large musketballs and a handful of scrap lead. I ended up getting chased out of the area by some fiesty cows, but I will be revisiting that site another time. I moved on to a nearby site that had two 1830s homesites side by side that produced only 2 square nails and a clad quarter after about 2 hours of detecting. I decided to move onto another site just north which had 3 homesites side by side. That place was an absolute jungle. I couldnt swing my detector. Defeated, I started heading home. I stopped for some food and picked out one last site that was on my route home. An 1840s tavern which is now a plowed field. I got the permission and headed out there. Five minutes into swinging I got a somewhat scratchy 74 on the Manticore. Dug the hole, scanned it with my pin pointer only to find a tiny nail. I thought my detector was falsing on iron until I got up, scanned the hole again and got a solid 75. Got down and saw the rim of a silver coin! Popped the dirt clump off of it to reveal a BEAUTIFUL 1848 Seated Liberty Dime! I think it was ringing lower because it was on edge (Usually around an 81-84 for a silver dime). This coin must've been dropped not too long after it was minted because WOW. I have a bad habit of seeing a silver rim and instantly grabbing it to see what it is instead of taking a picture of it in the dirt. Anyway, I stayed there for another hour and didnt find anything else but I definitely plan on going back there!
 

Attachments

  • 20260601_194140.webp
    20260601_194140.webp
    2.3 MB · Views: 328
  • 20260601_194211.webp
    20260601_194211.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 146
  • 20260602_090150.webp
    20260602_090150.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 138
Upvote 31
I started the day off with a long drive to a 1830s lead mining and smelting/fur trade camp. I located the area and immediately found a large musketball. Game on. I managed to find 2 more large musketballs and a handful of scrap lead. I ended up getting chased out of the area by some fiesty cows, but I will be revisiting that site another time. I moved on to a nearby site that had two 1830s homesites side by side that produced only 2 square nails and a clad quarter after about 2 hours of detecting. I decided to move onto another site just north which had 3 homesites side by side. That place was an absolute jungle. I couldnt swing my detector. Defeated, I started heading home. I stopped for some food and picked out one last site that was on my route home. An 1840s tavern which is now a plowed field. I got the permission and headed out there. Five minutes into swinging I got a somewhat scratchy 74 on the Manticore. Dug the hole, scanned it with my pin pointer only to find a tiny nail. I thought my detector was falsing on iron until I got up, scanned the hole again and got a solid 75. Got down and saw the rim of a silver coin! Popped the dirt clump off of it to reveal a BEAUTIFUL 1848 Seated Liberty Dime! I think it was ringing lower because it was on edge (Usually around an 81-84 for a silver dime). This coin must've been dropped not too long after it was minted because WOW. I have a bad habit of seeing a silver rim and instantly grabbing it to see what it is instead of taking a picture of it in the dirt. Anyway, I stayed there for another hour and didnt find anything else but I definitely plan on going back there!
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!
 
Congrats on that great looking Seated dime !
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom