1855 Large Cent(?)

TheHbeast

Jun 21, 2016
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My oldest coin ever. I feel so blessed haha. I believe this is what it is, found an image of a coin online that i think has the same date as well. The back is completely useless, the whole coin is greatly corroded. 27cm diameter, and heavy :) If anyone thinks its something else or has any suggestions for cleaning or ID'ing it would be much appreciated! Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 9.21.21 PM.pngIMG_3347.jpg

Upvote 24
I found one last year, very exciting. Makes you want to go out tomorrow....

Yep. Found an 1856 the other day. Braided Hair Liberty Large Cent. Nice find.

Not much you can do. The coin is already pretty toastie. If you do anything maybe just a tooth pick to get a little bit of the grime out but be careful. You can easily take away the copper detail.

Great find!! I agree tooth pick and let it be anything else will loose all details.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Awesome feeling isn’t it?!? Any ID on these old coppers is a win. An ID with a readable date is a double win!! -Heres to many more!

Great find!! Still looking for my first large cent. The advice you're getting is spot on.....old coppers are tough to restore/reclaim.

Coins are great because they come with a date. No guessing. That coin only circulated 2 years before they were withdrawn in favor of the smaller Flying Eagle cent. Gary

A big congrats on finding your oldest coin !

There are a lot of ways to clean old Copper Coins - here's a few ...

(1) - A safe but slow process - many people soak copper coins in Virgin Olive Oil for a few weeks or even up to a few months and use a tooth pick to remove the corrosion a little at a time.
(2) - Heating Peroxide in a microwave then dropping the coin in dissolves the crud - this process must be repeated multiple times and tends to turn the coin black.
(3) - A home made Electrolysis Bath will remove all the crud but it can also result in a loss of some detail on the coin - this process will also remove any of the green patina on the coin that many people find desirable.

As always, check the date on the coin before cleaning it to make sure it's not a key date and understand that you can't "undo" any type cleaning process.

Good Luck & Good Hunting !

Last edited:
I think you've alreadly gotten lots of help in cleaning. You already know what date it probably is. I think there were several versions on the 1855.

Congratulations on your oldest coin TheHbeast! That large cent is a beauty, and if you found it out in Colorado, that's pretty special!
Congrats

I think you've alreadly gotten lots of help in cleaning. You already know what date it probably is. I think there were several versions on the 1855.

Good point. Something like the straight and slanted 5 His looks to be a slanted.

Hey E-Trac-Ohio, how about Vinegar and salt solution? I was considering trying that???let me know.

Sweet old copper, congrats! :occasion14:

She may be ugly, but in a beautiful way! Congrats on a terrific find! :occasion14:

Congrats shes a beauty bet there will be lots more in time. Well done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back