1858 Flying Eagle Cent

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out to the park today. Went to an area I hit hard over the years and found this 1858 Flying Eagle cent. At first I thought it was a wheat penny. Then I cleaned the dirt off and saw an eagle. I never saw one before and I had to look it up. The Flying Eagle cents were only minted for two years in 1857 and 1858. Thanks for looking.
IMG_0147.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpeg
    IMG_0146.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0133.jpeg
    IMG_0133.jpeg
    650.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Upvote 27
Went out to the park today. Went to an area I hit hard over the years and found this 1858 Flying Eagle cent. At first I thought it was a wheat penny. Then I cleaned the dirt off and saw an eagle. I never saw one before and I had to look it up. The Flying Eagle cents were only minted for two years in 1857 and 1858. Thanks for looking.View attachment 2118803
Great find! I’ve only dug 2 so far with hopes of finding a few more. Nice job

Went out to the park today. Went to an area I hit hard over the years and found this 1858 Flying Eagle cent. At first I thought it was a wheat penny. Then I cleaned the dirt off and saw an eagle. I never saw one before and I had to look it up. The Flying Eagle cents were only minted for two years in 1857 and 1858. Thanks for looking.View attachment 2118803
Very cool

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Actually... they were made for three years... but if you find the first year 56 your in for some real money.
I did not know that! I also thought they were only minted for two years. Thanks for the info.!

Congratulations! Great find BTW!

Very nice coin, and its in great condition. I've only dug one in 35 years and it's not in near as good as condition as yours.
Thanks, It didn't look good when I found it. When I got home I use a Andre's brush pencil to get the crud off and put some Renaissance wax on it and it cleaned up nice.

Attachments

• IMG_0133 2.jpeg
    IMG_0133 2.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0147.jpeg
    IMG_0147.jpeg
    513.2 KB · Views: 30
Nice! Still on my bucket list.

Awesome Find...!
Be proud!
I found a Flying Eagle Cent at my Sister-in-law's place in Connecticut.
I was new to detecting then, and wasn't' sure either, what I had found, until after cleaning

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back