Greenie
Apr 8, 2017
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
The one I bought at Harbor Freight
I also purchased one at Walmart
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am posting this because I really haven't been able to figure it out on my own. I thought I would throw it out there and see what the patrons of Treasure Net might think it is. It appears to be a dispensing valve or a way of sealing something. The "spring" is non ferrous and is pretty darn rigid. My initial thoughts were possibly a part from a gun. Let me know what you guys think! It was found in a 1860's Eastern California gold mining camp. Not in "Gold Country" of California.

Attachments

• thingy 2.jpg
    thingy 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
  • thingy 1.jpg
    thingy 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 82

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that part to an old telegraph? I've seen it before...somewhere.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gunner3791

Greenie
Apr 8, 2017
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
The one I bought at Harbor Freight
I also purchased one at Walmart
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe they had telegraph in that area at that time. The county I found it in had its very first house in 1865 and the camp I found it in is around the same time. There went enough people at that time to justify a telegraph.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other thing I thought of was an old piece to a valve assembly on an infernal combustion engine. I know I've seen these somewhere...

Valve assembly - that's it! Boy I'm getting old. It is a key to a clarinet or saxophone. One of the pieces you press down when making a note. Some of the keys are naturally open and I believe some are naturally closed.

And I used to play a clarinet - over 45 years ago!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
The other thing I thought of was an old piece to a valve assembly on an infernal combustion engine. I know I've seen these somewhere...

Valve assembly - that's it! Boy I'm getting old. It is a key to a clarinet or saxophone. One of the pieces you press down when making a note. Some of the keys are naturally open and I believe some are naturally closed.

I played at alto sax for a few years, back in elementary school. Looks like it could be from some sort of saxophone

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought rocker arm for a hit & miss engine but all I've seen are cast iron. I think instrument key.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for sure spit valve or instrument key

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions