1865 Lincoln? some sort of commemorative?

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units

Attachments

• lincoln.jpg
    lincoln.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 407

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Is it fairly light (aluminum?). If so it could be one of a series that gas stations used to give out inthe early 70's. I hope its older, but what's the reverse look like?

Upvote 0

karajo

Dec 29, 2004
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
yep :) coin giveaway from cereal or somewhere had a few when i was growing up their from the early 90's :)
not a million dollar coin but still pretty cool if you ask me :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
xXx

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
It's fairly heavy. Actually came up on display as penny. The condition it's in, I would say it's definately not an 1865 item. It's in better shape than most clad I dig.
xXx

Upvote 0

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
yeah wow cobblestoneinn was looking for info on one very similar to that, all I could find was a reference to one in and old collectable token catalogue for $50.00 not much other info however! 8)

Upvote 0

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
That looks very much like a couple of coins that I have found. I have a Thomas Jefferson, and a James madison that have the same characteristics.Would like to see the back.The ones I found are definately not aluminum and are most likely copper. Here is a couple of pics of them! From what I could find out they are token coins...but very cool and definately fairly old. Good luck and H.H.
MIKE

Attachments

• James mad f.jpg
    James mad f.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 335
  • james mad b.jpg
    james mad b.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 326
  • thomas jeff f.jpg
    thomas jeff f.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 320
  • thomas jeff b.jpg
    thomas jeff b.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 324
Upvote 0

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Hikermike--I found the exact same kind as you have there, but on Grover Cleveland. My research found these were made in the 1930s and given away at gas stations. Makes sense in that I found it at an old swimming hole where I found coins from the same era.

Upvote 0
C

cobblestoneinn

My token is very similar but the bust of Lincoln is full side profile, The reverse is very much like the reverse of the one above from Garfield? It is slightly smaller than a hard times token and slightly lighter in weight. Thanks again for all the help.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread