What's new

1870s Colorado/New Mexico Trail Info Needed

khpony

Sr. Member
Joined
May 29, 2006
Messages
308
Reaction score
72
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
1870's Colorado/New Mexico Trail Info Needed

I'm looking for information on the trail the soldiers would have used between Fort Union, New Mexico and Fort Garland, Colorado between 1860 and 1880. So far I haven't been able to come across any old maps showing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
khpony,

I've done a little bit of research and found where FT Union, New Mexico and FT Garland, Colorado are located. Each are a National Monument now. Ft Union is approx. 125 miles NE of Santa Fe on I-25. Turn left on 161 at Waltrous Exit.

If you continue North on I-25 you will cross into Colorado. Stay on I-25 till you get to exit 50 at Walsenburg and turn left on 160 to Blanca, approximately 75 miles. FT Garland Monument is there.

Both of the forts were built to protect the Santa Fe Trail. In my opinion the troops canvassed the lower route, the Cimorron Cutoff and the Northern Mountainous Region. That route was 300 miles farther with water but wagons had a terrible time. That is why most of them to the Cutoff. They had 50 miles of desert but they made it OK.

Hoped this helped you. If I can be of any other help, let me know.

David of MS
 
Last edited:
One book I strongly want you to read is "The Santa Fe Trail" by Ralph Compton. It has a map in the front showing FT Union but does not show FT Garland. With all the info presented you will see it is just across the Colorado line. The book is really good reading and explains quite a bit. It is based on facts.

David McMillan
 
If you research the Battle of Glorietta You'll find where west of Fort Union the Civil War battle was fought. The trail runs the same route as Hwy 25. A lot of relics have been found from the battle. Colorado Union soldiers joined the fight but I don't know what fort they came from. Fort Union is worth a visit.
 
Check the old maps in the Library of Congress...
 
Thanks everyone! I'm trying to determine the exact location of the last 3 miles or so comming into Fort Gardland from Fort Union. Location is critical to the location of a missing army payroll.
 
You are looking in wrong direction. The cache was lost almost due east of Ft Garland. I will have to find details. Make take a
day or so.
 
Have you asked at the Fort Garland Museum?
29477 Highway 159, Fort Garland, CO 81133 719-379-3612Don........
PS: You may have an interest in two other treasures in that area:

  • The Spanish Treasure of Blanca Peak, on Blanca Peak, north of Ft. Garland, Colo.
  • The Paymaster's Treasure of Ft. Garland, on Trincera Creek, south of Ft. Garland
 
Last edited:
lastleg....thanks and any hepl would be greatly appreciated.
Mackaydon....We plan to go to the museum now that we have moved to Colorado and yes we're working on the Trinchera Greek payroll.
 
khpony, I just found tons of info on Fort Union at the external link for Sante Fe Trail Research Site on Wiki. I would read all this
to try to see if the payroll was sent to Ft Garland. What stands out from my cursory search is the shortage of specie in NM. All
their supplies in the early days was freighted from Ft Lawrence in KS, over 700 miles on the SF Trail. Still looking for my source
of this legend.
 
Lastleg
Could it be that this treasure was found many years ago and nobody is talking?
 
Could be except it's on private property and it's been that way for many decades.
 
I looked at this lead many years ago and my recollection was it was on Boy Scout property but I may be wrong. I see the creek
is just SE of Fort Garland. It empties into a small resevoir. Don't know where a wagon road would have crossed the Trinchera.
Sorry I couldn't been of more help.
 
You have been great help, lastleg, hope you find this treasure because you deserve to. Good luck.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom