Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks free to detect no the coin dealers kept trying to get me to sell it to one of there buddies in Ill. I said no I think i'll keep it, it has all four diamonds showing on it that is the pre-requisit for AU its worth a few bucks I believe, they never did tell me a value... but a value range.

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a great find, however, with all the nicks, its not going to grade AU. You might get a base of AU, but if you try to sell it, any dealer is going to mark down in value and grade for the nicks, especially the big one right in front of the eye, the lump in front of the ribbon and the bulge near the UN in United.

Anthony

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
j.d. in missouri said:
now I have 2 coin dealers who confirmed my IH penny is a 1873 S2 double die? yes!!!!!!!!!!

XF_AU condition even though its green :)? i,b,e,r,t,y doubled? take a close look at the "r"

pictur # 2 is an extreme close up and shows marks that you cant see regularly.

I'll be honest with you, it looks more like a bought coin, where did you get it,
I've been digging for 20 years and not seen a coin that old come out of the ground that clean.
but even if not dug, the double is cool.
most coins I have you could not tell see something like this for the green condition they come out of the ground in.

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll be honest with you, it looks more like a bought coin, where did you get it,
I've been digging for 20 years and not seen a coin that old come out of the ground that clean.

They do come out of the ground that clean. I have an 1871 Indian head that you would swear had never even been dropped, much less dropped 130 years ago. I posted the pic a while ago, but I had just gotten my camera, so the it did not come out that well, due to my inexperience.

Anthony

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry TORRERO but your dead wrong about dug coins, you may be in an area that this horrible IH pennies.

Detecting fool you are right I found 20 IH pennies that day all from 1860's to the mid 1880's
I have an 1871 that in better shape than the 1873 DD, and an 1869 2 center that perfect in the area of Pa. I found them they came out of the ground with a crust all over them you couldnt even tell they were IH pennies but 15 min. in olive oil and a tooth pic the coins came out beautiful.

heres a few

Attachments

• tribeeagle.jpg
    tribeeagle.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 3,016
  • 000_0070.JPG
    000_0070.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 3,003

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats quite a sweet collections of finds you got there. I was looking at your web page lastnight too. Lots of nice stuff there.

Anthony

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is how i found the penny, 2 weeks before I left Pa. jnott a member at IGH with me contacted me about getting together and detecting, after a few days he called me and said he found a spot and got us permission to hunt, we go there the area is 1,800 acres and we cant figure out where to begin, so we go to a water fountain and I look at a wooded area and I said what the hell lets start here, I took about 20 steps and got a 21 VDI "nickle" strong on my XLT but the depth was 0'0' I move some leaves and there on the ground was a nickle jnott was a few feet away and saw it also I picked it up and it was a shield nickle I looked at him smiled and said were gonna have a good day, I went a few feet more and got another shield nickle, jnott yelled I got a seated dime sure enough I look up and he's picking up a 1876 seated dime right near a tree root, after about a half an hour I got 5 more shield nickles and a 2 cent piece, Jnott got a cool old toy gun, and I looked at him and said I cant believe we havnt found any IH pennies then they started jumping out of the ground they had a thick crust on them so you couldnt see the dates, but i had a bout 12 in an hour and I was swinging near a pipe that was sticking out of the ground, about 1 1/2 feet away was a big tree I got a signal looked down and I can see a coin poking out of a thin layer of moss and a tree root it was the 1873 IH all it had was a light dusting of dirt on it i could see it was perfect. I took it home and cleaned it with water posted the coins and put them away in a coin box, 8 months later 1 week ago I read a story where a guy was looking for an 1873 Double Die IH so I got out the old magnifying glass and sure enough you could easily see the double die on it......and thats how I found it there I also got an 1871 IH in AU condition there that day all the coins were 1860's to mid 1880's.... thank you jnott if it wasnt for you i would have never found the coins...jd

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've looked until I am blue in the face and I am not seeing what the big deal is! Seriously, I know nothing about coin collecting and I can't figure out what is unique about this coin. Plese point it out to me so I can get excited about it too! Thanks

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if look at the close up pic on the right, you can see a doubling of the I,B, and R in the pic are the easiest to see for some reason collectors go crazy over that there were 2 types of doubling in 1873

Don in SJ explained it this way to me:

Also, there are two varieties of the double die. Snow1 and Snow 2.
Snow 1 variety has more doubling than the Snow 2 and also has doubling at the eye. Snow 2 only has doubling at IBERTY, and not as pronounced. Snow 2 is considered the scarer of the two...

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I see it now, you really would have to know your coins to spot that one. Thanks for the clarification.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
J. D. as always your finds are spectacular. The 2 center is a real beaut man. Hope you get the best return for your efforts and keep them coils swinging!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey JD leave it to you to find a coin like that! WTG!

I can't see the double die effect either but know it takes an expert trained eye and very high powered loop (up close) to see most of these things. Love that shield!? :)

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey bud take a look at the "R" you can easily see the doubling :) in the pic :) jd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions