What's new

1880 Cap Device

outtair

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Spanish Fort, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-70, Tesoro Cibola
I forgot about this item and happened to see it today. I got this years ago form a relic hunter's collection of buttons. I tried to run it down and hope you guys can help. Is it US and what hat/cap does it go on. I have seen the large eagle on the spiked helmet but not this one.
Thanks,
Outtair
 

Attachments

  • indian war 005.webp
    indian war 005.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 483
  • indian war 006.webp
    indian war 006.webp
    19.4 KB · Views: 471
Hi - What is the mark on the back?


eta - does it just say "1880"?
 
Upvote 0
All that I can see is 1880, what I imagine was the threaded stem hole and a small dimple under it.
 
Upvote 0
Found out it is the pommel on a US NAVY OFFICERS SWORD Model 1852. Makes sense as it was with a dug button collection I got from an old relic hunter.
Thanks,
Outtair
 
Upvote 0
Hey, you're not supposed to ID your own 'what's it'! :D
Kidding! Nice piece!
 
Upvote 0
Heres one in June Mark Parker. It was found in Louisiana but the back is different. Here is what he says http://www.treasurenet.com/westeast/

pommel cap201006_image4.webp

"What you've got is the pommel cap from the hilt of a Model 1852 Navy officer's sword, a design which, with minor variations, has remained in continuous use right up to the present. Given its recovery location, it's tempting to assume that it's from the siege of Port Hudson; however, an edged weapons expert who examined the photos feels that it dates a little later. Just to be safe, though, let's price it both ways. If it is indeed of the period, it might fetch as much as $100; but if provably postwar, considerably less." quote Mark Parker
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom