Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1880's train station

There is a bar right down the street from me that used to be the people train station in my town back in the late 1800's. I took a chance today and went in and asked the owner if i could MD her property and she said to me.."50/50"?...That made me laugh but i was very excited. It's a rather large area but quite wide open. I did spend a little while there today and second dig turned up 1918 merc. Another hours worth of detecting brought me 7 wheats. The actual track and platform is still directly behind this bar but i'm afraid that with all that track, my detector will go crazy. Any advice on getting that close to SOOOOO much iron so that i can uncover some history? Maybe tomorrow i can take a pic of the area and show you what i am talking about. It's quite cool to think about people standing out there waiting for there train. Anyway, any advice will be greatly appreciated and put to use. Thanks all.

EDIT: Was off on date train station. Was actually built in 1869.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think you can close to the tracks and still detect, but just get as close as possible, gotta be some good stuff there!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn your sensitivity down as far as it will go and hunt as close to the tracks as it allows. Start turning your sensitivity back up as you get farther from the tracks. Hunt in all metal if you want to find relics. Otherwise, dig all non-ferrous targets.

OP
OP
rodarian

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the advice, i will try all of those things tomorrow. :occasion14:

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
When you are close to the tracks, swing your md parallel to the tracks, not towards and away. Might not be so confusing to the electronics.

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you are close to the tracks, swing your md parallel to the tracks, not towards and away. Might not be so confusing to the electronics.

Yeah - You can make your machine think the track is part of the "ground". Swing parallel and ground balance - problem solved!

OP
OP
rodarian

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have never known to do that little trick. You guys are the best.:occasion14: Thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread