What's new

1882 token with a mystery

Lord Verdigris

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2014
Messages
3,935
Reaction score
9,274
Golden Thread
2
Location
East coast Canada
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this token in a field and when I pulled it out and took a quick look I thought it was a US large cent. When I got back home and rinsed it off I noticed that half it was a large cent and the other half was stamped "blakely & co. great dry & salt goods warehouse". I did some research and found a write up about it in a 1885 book. Seems it was possibly struck illegally in the US and smuggled in and distributed up here in Nova Scotia. Maybe someone on here heard something about them before. Thanks for looking! [emoji2]
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468007322.992527.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468007335.972552.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468007350.560400.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468007361.824993.webp
 
Upvote 26
Very cool and unusual token congrats on a nice find
 
Very cool and unusual token congrats on a nice find

It actual looks a lot better in person than those pictures I took! [emoji106]
 
Congratz! What a cool find!
 
It actual looks a lot better in person than those pictures I took! [emoji106]

My girlfriend is the same way!

Congrats! That token is really sweet... token & coin all at once. Well played sir.
 
Beautiful old token. Nice piece of history. WTG
 
What a unique find! Congrats on holding a mystery.....
 
That is a great old token with some unusual history.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom