1896 Liberty V and Sterling Bracelet

CladMoonRising

Jan 29, 2015
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug these two items on a bluff overlooking a ranch complex that dates back to the late 1800's. Rumor has it there was a small cottage on the bluff until it was purposely destroyed by the latest ranch owner in the early 1900's. The whole area is now publicly owned and I have permission to search everywhere except near the ranch buildings that still exist.

The bracelet is 3" across and weighs about 12 grams. Besides being flattened under 8" of earth, it has lots of wear marks and had probably been worn many years before being lost. There's a tiny "sterling" inscribed on it but no maker's mark. The nickel is the oldest I've dug!

Thanks for looking and good luck out there!

1896_V_Nickel_Front.jpg 1896_V_Nickel_Back.jpg Bracelet.jpg

Upvote 14
Nice finds! Is it possible that the sterling piece is the outer trim of an old coaster? I have seen them in the past made of glass with a sterling rim.

Super finds - Congrats! :occasion14:

Nice V-Nickle! :occasion14:

Is it possible that the sterling piece is the outer trim of an old coaster?

It looks like it was a thin hollow tube formed into a ring. It would have been smooth on the inside so I'm not sure if it could have attached to anything inside. Its been smashed flat but it still fits my daughter's wrist perfectly!

Another piece for the collection

Congrats on the silver and the v-nickel. Wish the v-nickels I've dug looked that nice.

I too am of the opinion that this sterling piece was domestic (household) rather than jewelry - just an opinion. Nice finds !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back