1902 Liberty Head, V Nickel - COUNTERFEIT, everything reads backwards???

SOSDIVING

Apr 2, 2014
Wake Forest, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter PI
White's Surfmaster II VLF
Tesoro Bandido II VLF
Tesoro Cibola VLF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is ODD, went out today on Main Street in Rolesville, NC and found this in a farm field. I thought I had found a V Nickel, but upon inspection everything reads backwards including the date. It has 13 stars on face, but they are all impressed versus raised. The bust faces right instead of left, and every feature is impressed versus raised. The backwards date seems to read 1902. The coin weighs in at 6.5 grams or 0.220 oz. It also appears to have lead in the coin, some parts look like lead oxide, but the rest looks like nickel plate. Any thoughts or ideas on this strange one?

IMG_20161222_101449811.jpg IMG_20161222_101517446_HDR.jpg IMG_20161222_102004489.jpg IMG_20161222_102014935_HDR.jpg

Upvote 18

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is ODD, went out today on Main Street in Rolesville, NC and found this in a farm field. I thought I had found a V Nickel, but upon inspection everything reads backwards including the date. It has 13 stars on face, but they are all impressed versus raised. The bust faces right instead of left, and every feature is impressed versus raised. The backwards date seems to read 1902. The coin weighs in at 6.5 grams or 0.220 oz. It also appears to have lead in the coin, some parts look like lead oxide, but the rest looks like nickel plate. Any thoughts or ideas on this strange one?

View attachment 1393839 View attachment 1393840 View attachment 1393841 View attachment 1393842
Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh sure! I know this! It's that variation on a "wooden nickel" . Ya see, they heat up a blob of lead, then they take a real nickel and press it into the softened lead, then they cool it off and nickel plate it. Then...they're ready to pass it off at their local tavern where they already know the barkeep is dyslexic! And I haven't a clue of what I'm talkin' about! LOL

Dyslexics of the world!! UNTIE!
that's my kinda funny, thanks Whadifind!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's my kinda funny, thanks Whadifind!
Be here all week, (or in this case for 6 years ;) ). Try the bean dip! ;)

Oh! And if you liked this? Try the link for filling time in my signature. Try it! You'll like it!! :)

Last edited:

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a big penny made of pewter (?) and pressed the same way, using other coins as a stamping mold. Mine came from a Confederate campsite and was probably used as a poker or other gaming chip. Its on the right in the pic below. (The one on the left is a counterfeit 1858 dollar coin, maybe also used as a chip but the writing is not reversed)

Attachments

• counterfeit or poker chips 1.JPG
    counterfeit or poker chips 1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • counterfeit or poker chips 2.JPG
    counterfeit or poker chips 2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread