Another beautiful gold ring and other gold from the swimming area, V nickel, silver Washington & token from the school and nice scout camp variety

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back to work on one of the dry swimming areas in my favorite park. I spent 5.5 hours with the ATPro gridding a large section and doing a little search in the dry lake bed outside the swimming area. At this time of year I expect a few small pieces of jewelry and a few coins and with some luck a little gold or silver. The last 2 times I have been detected the swimming areas I have found some small silver and a gold ring. Well this trip I did the same thing. All together I found 24 coins with a face value of $1.28, 2 rings, a cross pendant, 3 earrings, a bead, earring backs, sequins and small pieces of aluminum, sinkers, a pendant, fishing lures, a toy helicopter, a few tabs and good old aluminum foil.

410C74FD-44AB-4DAD-9739-DC15C8DFF8D3.jpeg

The gold ring and the silver cross were found outside the swimming area. The part of the lake bed I found them in has a beach and I believe that years ago people may have used this area to swim in before they put in the swim ropes to mark off the swimming area. I am not allowed to detect in the water outside the swim areas normally, but since the water is down I can cover this area. It worked out for me and I will have to grid this section on another trip.

This is the largest gold I have found for a while and it is beautiful. It is a 14k KEEPSAKE ring and weighs 0.22 troy ounces or 6.2 grams. I found it as I was leaving that section to go start another grid. It was a solid 66 and I had high hopes it was a gold ring, but I have had solid numbers in the gold range before that end up being big sinkers or some other piece of junk. It was a wonderful surprise. The cross pendant, the thin chain, the pink butterfly earring missing the post and one of the earring backs are all silver.

0A7E6A6C-705E-4942-9C30-F16748CA898E.jpeg

It is a surprised that I managed to find that piece of thin silver chain. Normally when I find a chain that thin it is because I get a signal from the clasp or pendant which is larger and easier to detect. This one is just the chain. Anyway Iā€™ll take it and count myself lucky. This was the last find at the end of a pass on the grid as my time ran out. Iā€™ll definitely be back to finish the grid section.

9DFC65DB-A217-48BF-A84B-ACDFB5AF01B8.jpeg

DAY 2
I was able to get back to the scout camp for my weekly visit. I have covered most of the best spots and am now checking miscellaneous small unchecked spots and cleaning up around the edges. Last time I got luck and found a nice variety. Iā€™m working part of the parade field by the flag poles where there is grass and where tents are not normally set up (thatā€™s why so few pegs). The coin numbers and values are much lower than they used to be, but the variety of finds is still good, so itā€™s good hunting and exercise in the fresh air.

In 6.5 hours I found 91 coins with a face value of $6.98, 13 camp tent pegs, 5 neckerchief slides, 2 rope tensioners (1 melted in a fire), a Canadian quarter, a fake gold nugget, a cheapie ring, w religious medals, 2 fake cob coins, 2 NO CASH VALUE shield and Eagle tokens, a belt knife holder, 4 scout year pins, a Tiger rank pin, a Webelos showman pin, a Ruger pin, a modern bullet, a key, 5 cheapie beads, 9 pin backs, 2 sinkers, the lead head of a large fishing lure, some bits of copper wire, foil and can tabs.

4CCF8FAE-C45D-4B5D-83CE-66ECA7181152.jpeg

Quite a nice variety of finds for this day. The 2 religious medals are part of the Catholic medal for Webelos cub scouts (4th and 5th graders). It is called the Parvuli Dei medal and would have had a ribbon attached. This is the first time I have found this medal and I found 2 on the same trip.

62338AED-7D6E-4362-B6C5-7D94AF527FD4.jpeg

DAY 3
I went back to the dry swimming areas at my favorite park to continue the grid I worked on last time. I still have a lot of ground (or should I say sand) to cover on this beach and the camp beach and 3 times in a row I have found a gold ring and some silver jewelry. Can I make it 4 in a row? I went to find out.

I did find gold, but not a gold ring and no silver this trip. The hunt started off decently with all the jewelry coming from the swimming area and all of the coins coming from other areas of the dry lake bed. But after a few hours on the swimming area grid the finds just disappeared. For the last hour and a half nothing except 1 piece of foil. The area was clean so next trip I will go back to the camping area swimming area and hope my luck continues there.

In 5.5 hours with the ATPro I found 43 coins with a face value of $3.28, some sinkers, a variety of earrings, a cheapie ring, a quartz pendant, miscellaneous jewelry including 2 cheapie clasps, earring backs and a brass bead, a stainless steel crucifix, plus tabs and foil.

D6177BF4-13E0-4A62-96AB-7491B4918303.jpeg

2 of the earrings are gold. A 10k cz stud and a 2 tone hinged 18k. Not the gold ring I was hoping for, but that is 4 gold hunts in a row from this park. No silver this trip, but a good hunt anyway.

62D55263-A9D0-418A-A95A-9E8789E7CE15.jpeg

DAY 4
I finally had a weekend without obligations so I managed to get back to the civil war bullet school (I can only hunt when school is not in session). I started by extending the grid I worked on last time when I found the silver thimble. The goodies at this permission are widely scattered and can pop up anytime so every trip is a chance for goodies or not.

I did get lucky and got my coil over a few goodies this trip. In the 5 hours I was swingin the CZ21 I found 62 coins with a face value of $2.52, a 1902 V nickel, a 1945 silver Washington quarter, a token, a whatzit, a cruddy cheapie pendant, a Timex watch face, a semi wadcutter bullet, lots of tabs and pencil ends and the usual assortment of junk.

9C55762C-B02E-472F-868C-D12C7FA6B1AE.jpeg

0140234E-04E1-4E77-9537-9A2EFB727E76.jpeg

The token is in great shape, but Iā€™m not sure how old it is. The Osborne Register Company made tokens and such. Some information said that the name was first used in 1920 and was changed sometime shortly after 1944. This token was made for the Strickler Supply Company. The front says PAYABLE IN MERCHANDISE ONLY around the edges. The center reads 25 ORCO, REG. US. PAT OFF, THE OSBORNE REGISTER CO, CINN. O. U.S.A. The back reads STRICKLER SUPPLY CO 25. Iā€™m not having any luck finding info on the Strickler Supply Company. It must have been a smaller business and not local.

44E52A39-66D0-4296-B3A7-9FDF27D0E39C.jpeg

C67B2F21-8A5A-46D5-88D2-903BE30CB13E.jpeg

The whatzit is also interesting. It is brass, but was up against a piece of ferrous metal that stuck to it so the exact shape of the upper portion is hidden until I get it cleaned up. I have no idea what it is. It might be civil war, but it could be more recent. Any help would be appreciated. I will post it in the What is it section and see if I get any results.

D16AC913-1085-421D-B815-F9F00038AC40.jpeg

I still check the coinstar machines and the coin returns whenever I can, but they have been empty for a couple of weeks now I did find a dime and 2 pennies walking at the mall a few times, but not much there.. After this last hunt I had to pick up some items our local store was out of and they had 2 Coin star machines in the store. One was empty but the other one had 4 zinc pennies, 2 plastic play pennies and a 1953 D silver Rosie. I havenā€™t found silver in the coinstar machines for a long time. Woohoo.

E0B15D93-0E7C-4FC4-83C3-22E964082625.jpeg

61D7A8DE-02DD-4374-8762-E6C711C72F6D.jpeg

Another good week with silver, gold and some oldies. That brings my detecting total for the year (since May 1st when my year starts) to 30 gold and 97 silvers. (I donā€™t include coinstar silver in this total). Most of them are small, but gold and silver are always good no matter what size they are. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Attachments

• 63B78D34-CFB3-4DBC-A340-AA1C2E2B781F.jpeg
    63B78D34-CFB3-4DBC-A340-AA1C2E2B781F.jpeg
    404.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 7884EB97-653E-4CB7-B9A9-3CE89A24859B.jpeg
    7884EB97-653E-4CB7-B9A9-3CE89A24859B.jpeg
    449.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 472B154A-86C0-417B-8EC0-54DF1632F1A4.jpeg
    472B154A-86C0-417B-8EC0-54DF1632F1A4.jpeg
    363.4 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 18

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've been doing great at these dry swimming areas. Congrats & best wishes for more gold & silver. You know darn well there is more to be found in those areas. CHEERS!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back to work on one of the dry swimming areas in my favorite park. I spent 5.5 hours with the ATPro gridding a large section and doing a little search in the dry lake bed outside the swimming area. At this time of year I expect a few small pieces of jewelry and a few coins and with some luck a little gold or silver. The last 2 times I have been detected the swimming areas I have found some small silver and a gold ring. Well this trip I did the same thing. All together I found 24 coins with a face value of $1.28, 2 rings, a cross pendant, 3 earrings, a bead, earring backs, sequins and small pieces of aluminum, sinkers, a pendant, fishing lures, a toy helicopter, a few tabs and good old aluminum foil.

View attachment 2055267

The gold ring and the silver cross were found outside the swimming area. The part of the lake bed I found them in has a beach and I believe that years ago people may have used this area to swim in before they put in the swim ropes to mark off the swimming area. I am not allowed to detect in the water outside the swim areas normally, but since the water is down I can cover this area. It worked out for me and I will have to grid this section on another trip.

This is the largest gold I have found for a while and it is beautiful. It is a 14k KEEPSAKE ring and weighs 0.22 troy ounces or 6.2 grams. I found it as I was leaving that section to go start another grid. It was a solid 66 and I had high hopes it was a gold ring, but I have had solid numbers in the gold range before that end up being big sinkers or some other piece of junk. It was a wonderful surprise. The cross pendant, the thin chain, the pink butterfly earring missing the post and one of the earring backs are all silver.

View attachment 2055266

It is a surprised that I managed to find that piece of thin silver chain. Normally when I find a chain that thin it is because I get a signal from the clasp or pendant which is larger and easier to detect. This one is just the chain. Anyway Iā€™ll take it and count myself lucky. This was the last find at the end of a pass on the grid as my time ran out. Iā€™ll definitely be back to finish the grid section.

View attachment 2055269

DAY 2
I was able to get back to the scout camp for my weekly visit. I have covered most of the best spots and am now checking miscellaneous small unchecked spots and cleaning up around the edges. Last time I got luck and found a nice variety. Iā€™m working part of the parade field by the flag poles where there is grass and where tents are not normally set up (thatā€™s why so few pegs). The coin numbers and values are much lower than they used to be, but the variety of finds is still good, so itā€™s good hunting and exercise in the fresh air.

In 6.5 hours I found 91 coins with a face value of $6.98, 13 camp tent pegs, 5 neckerchief slides, 2 rope tensioners (1 melted in a fire), a Canadian quarter, a fake gold nugget, a cheapie ring, w religious medals, 2 fake cob coins, 2 NO CASH VALUE shield and Eagle tokens, a belt knife holder, 4 scout year pins, a Tiger rank pin, a Webelos showman pin, a Ruger pin, a modern bullet, a key, 5 cheapie beads, 9 pin backs, 2 sinkers, the lead head of a large fishing lure, some bits of copper wire, foil and can tabs.

View attachment 2055270

Quite a nice variety of finds for this day. The 2 religious medals are part of the Catholic medal for Webelos cub scouts (4th and 5th graders). It is called the Parvuli Dei medal and would have had a ribbon attached. This is the first time I have found this medal and I found 2 on the same trip.

View attachment 2055280

DAY 3
I went back to the dry swimming areas at my favorite park to continue the grid I worked on last time. I still have a lot of ground (or should I say sand) to cover on this beach and the camp beach and 3 times in a row I have found a gold ring and some silver jewelry. Can I make it 4 in a row? I went to find out.

I did find gold, but not a gold ring and no silver this trip. The hunt started off decently with all the jewelry coming from the swimming area and all of the coins coming from other areas of the dry lake bed. But after a few hours on the swimming area grid the finds just disappeared. For the last hour and a half nothing except 1 piece of foil. The area was clean so next trip I will go back to the camping area swimming area and hope my luck continues there.

In 5.5 hours with the ATPro I found 43 coins with a face value of $3.28, some sinkers, a variety of earrings, a cheapie ring, a quartz pendant, miscellaneous jewelry including 2 cheapie clasps, earring backs and a brass bead, a stainless steel crucifix, plus tabs and foil.

View attachment 2055272

2 of the earrings are gold. A 10k cz stud and a 2 tone hinged 18k. Not the gold ring I was hoping for, but that is 4 gold hunts in a row from this park. No silver this trip, but a good hunt anyway.

View attachment 2055273

DAY 4
I finally had a weekend without obligations so I managed to get back to the civil war bullet school (I can only hunt when school is not in session). I started by extending the grid I worked on last time when I found the silver thimble. The goodies at this permission are widely scattered and can pop up anytime so every trip is a chance for goodies or not.

I did get lucky and got my coil over a few goodies this trip. In the 5 hours I was swingin the CZ21 I found 62 coins with a face value of $2.52, a 1902 V nickel, a 1945 silver Washington quarter, a token, a whatzit, a cruddy cheapie pendant, a Timex watch face, a semi wadcutter bullet, lots of tabs and pencil ends and the usual assortment of junk.

View attachment 2055274

View attachment 2055275

The token is in great shape, but Iā€™m not sure how old it is. The Osborne Register Company made tokens and such. Some information said that the name was first used in 1920 and was changed sometime shortly after 1944. This token was made for the Strickler Supply Company. The front says PAYABLE IN MERCHANDISE ONLY around the edges. The center reads 25 ORCO, REG. US. PAT OFF, THE OSBORNE REGISTER CO, CINN. O. U.S.A. The back reads STRICKLER SUPPLY CO 25. Iā€™m not having any luck finding info on the Strickler Supply Company. It must have been a smaller business and not local.

View attachment 2055282

View attachment 2055276

The whatzit is also interesting. It is brass, but was up against a piece of ferrous metal that stuck to it so the exact shape of the upper portion is hidden until I get it cleaned up. I have no idea what it is. It might be civil war, but it could be more recent. Any help would be appreciated. I will post it in the What is it section and see if I get any results.

View attachment 2055277

I still check the coinstar machines and the coin returns whenever I can, but they have been empty for a couple of weeks now I did find a dime and 2 pennies walking at the mall a few times, but not much there.. After this last hunt I had to pick up some items our local store was out of and they had 2 Coin star machines in the store. One was empty but the other one had 4 zinc pennies, 2 plastic play pennies and a 1953 D silver Rosie. I havenā€™t found silver in the coinstar machines for a long time. Woohoo.

View attachment 2055278

View attachment 2055279

Another good week with silver, gold and some oldies. That brings my detecting total for the year (since May 1st when my year starts) to 30 gold and 97 silvers. (I donā€™t include coinstar silver in this total). Most of them are small, but gold and silver are always good no matter what size they are. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Awesome Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some good finds there.

The token-producer 'Osborne Register Company', its predecessors and successors have gone through a number of name changes over the years, including:

c1835: Z. Bisbee Co.
1848: Z. Bisbee Son
1851: Bisbee Stanton
1852: John Stanton
1864: Murdock Spencer
1869: Jas. Murdock, Jr.
1906: The James Murdock, Jr. Co.
1920: The Osborne Register Co.
1947: The Osborne Coinage Company, Inc.

So, that gives you a possible date range for the token between 1920-1947 and itā€™s a company scrip token from West Virginia. Edkins' coal scrip catalogue places the company in both Harrison and Oakmont, WV so a bit of trawling in trade directories might get you to a narrower date range. In theory, payment in scrip became illegal in 1938 as part of the ā€œFair Labor Standards Actā€. In practice there were loopholes, laxity in enforcement and heavy lobbying from coal operators in both West Virginia and Kentucky, such that the practice continued there, also sidestepping the requirement that such payments should be transferable, until scrip was finally outlawed by Congress in 1967.

The ring is nice too. The ā€˜Keepsakeā€™ trademark in that style was originally filed for ā€œfinger ringsā€ in 1930 by the 'A.H. Pond Co., Inc. of Syracuse, NY.' It has been continuously renewed since then and is still live, with the current owner listed as 'Commemorative Brands, Inc.' of Austin, Texas.

Keepsake.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some good finds there.

The token-producer 'Osborne Register Company', its predecessors and successors have gone through a number of name changes over the years, including:

c1835: Z. Bisbee Co.
1848: Z. Bisbee Son
1851: Bisbee Stanton
1852: John Stanton
1864: Murdock Spencer
1869 - Jas. Murdock, Jr.
1906: The James Murdock, Jr. Co.
1920: The Osborne Register Co.
1947: The Osborne Coinage Company, Inc.

So, that gives you a possible date range for the token between 1920-1947 and itā€™s a company scrip token from West Virginia. Edkins' coal scrip catalogue places the company in both Harrison and Oakmont, WV so a bit of trawling in trade directories might get you to a narrower date range. In theory, payment in scrip became illegal in 1938 as part of the ā€œFair Labor Standards Actā€. In practice there were loopholes, laxity in enforcement and heavy lobbying from coal operators in both West Virginia and Kentucky, such that the practice continued there, also sidestepping the requirement that such payments should be transferable, until scrip was finally outlawed by Congress in 1967.

The ring is nice too. The ā€˜Keepsakeā€™ trademark in that style was originally filed for ā€œfinger ringsā€ in 1930 by the 'A.H. Pond Co., Inc. of Syracuse, NY.' It has been continuously renewed since then and is still live, with the current owner listed as 'Commemorative Brands, Inc.' of Austin, Texas.

View attachment 2056671
Thank you for your normal wealth of information. You are a true asset to treasurenet.
Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread