1911 coin? (ideas please...)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Hunted the old swimming hole site again today. A great place where we have found everything from a current coin to a 250 year old coin. Found a 1920 Merc. dime, couple wheaties and a 1911 coin or token that I need help with. It's slightly smaller than a quarter and appears copper. Photo won't help, as it's hard to see. It has a large bust of a woman (could be lady liberty) on the front facing left. There are 13 stars around the outside edge on the front starting at her chin and ending at the base of her neck. The back is unreadable. It has oxidized to a deep brown. Thanks for any ideas.

Upvote 0

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
It sounds like a shield nickel (1883-1912). Is it the same size as a nickel? If not it must be a token as I'm sure it can't be a gold coin..........Can it???

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
To clarify, first star actually is closer to base of her neck, not chin.

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks. You are both right--photo confirms. Interesting it's a nickel because it gave me a copper/silver tone from what I recall. I'll have to go back and check.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a confirmed "V Nickel" The V and the rest of the back is worn but strangely the face and stars are still visible. Nice find 8) Now onto the Shields and the Buffies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread