Kiros32
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Feb 21, 2006
- Messages
- 1,407
- Reaction score
- 443
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Detector(s) used
- XP Deus, Whites MXT
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
I am posting this for a friend. He is wondering what this license would have been for. I have not seen it, but based on the photo, I gather that it has the size and characteristics of a watch fob. Any idea what this was for? What was it attached to? Was it carried by someone?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Thanks in advance for your help.
It looks like an old Huckster's license. Usually horsedrawn wagons selling door to door. Had them all over town when I was a kid. It was like a tax or license fee tag. Also used on autos to keep unlicensed vendors from selling out of a wagon or car without paying taxes.
Of coarse if you listen to my wife I am always wrong. 

When I was a young boy I helped out on what was called an "Arabbers Wagon" in Baltimore. Today I doubt if there are very many left as they have been targetted by urban attacks against their way of life. These were usually older African American men who were just trying to make a living doing what they loved to do. Be around horses and make a little money to support their families. These tags could be nailed to the wagon or fastened to the horses halter or straps. The Arabbers were a way of life back then. Everything you can imagine was sold off the horse drawn wagons. Fruit, Ice, Coal and Vegatables. I doubt if there are many left now. These men were, for the most part, black older men. They were proud of their wagons and horses and took very good care of them. But, now they have been targeted by urban animal rights types who think a horse is a pet and should not be a working animal. The rules and regulations along with the outrageous cost of licensing and the cost of maintaining, and getting permits for stables has become prohibitive. there used to be stables all over town. This way of life was part of the flavor of Baltimore in the day. Cobblestone streets, horsedrawn waggons, Arabbers, Hucksters and every kid walking along petting the Arabber's horse and carrying produce to the customer's front door for a nickle or dime or helping to shovel coal into a basement coal bin through the sidewalk door will be sorely missed. Google Baltimore Arabbers and read about some of the history of a dying Way of life. There are only a few of these men left. I'd guess less than 35 in a city the size of Baltimore. I know I'll miss seeing them and hearing their cries of, "Waaaatermelllllon, Caaantellloooope, Straaaawberries!" as they went on their way.







