1912 Sterling medal from England Gloucester

pauloferreira

Greenie
Sep 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this medal in a bag with foreign coins and tokens. It is sterling silver anyone ever see any like this or know anything about these ? One of the marks seem to be "CE & FDID" ? Anyone its pretty cool looking also found a small sterling Jesus pendant in the bunch. Paid like 2 or 3 dollars for the lot.
Back.jpeg Front.jpeg Hallmarks.jpeg Signature.jpeg

Upvote 3

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The anchor hallmark is for the city of Birmingham, BTW.

OP
OP
P

pauloferreira

Greenie
Sep 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hallmarks did throw me off. The anchor is Birmingham , and the q is supposedly the date but it corresponds to 1814. Not sure if the token was made in 1814 and later inscribed or if the maker of the medals company was established then.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The hallmarks did throw me off. The anchor is Birmingham , and the q is supposedly the date but it corresponds to 1814. Not sure if the token was made in 1814 and later inscribed or if the maker of the medals company was established then.

The typeface (or "font") used for the letter is important and also the case -- you might want to re-check the date for the lowercase Q in that typeface. Just Google Birminham silver hallmarks and you should be able to get lots of information to date your find.

OP
OP
P

pauloferreira

Greenie
Sep 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for pointing me in right direction... There is a q that is for 1915 so the pendant is accurate in my head again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread