What's new

1916 Barber Quarter, 1935 Merc and 10 Wheaties!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2013
Messages
4,209
Reaction score
8,039
Golden Thread
1
Location
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bottle dump keeps on giving! Eyeballed a 1916-D Barber quarter and a 1935 Merc. Both were very grungy, but they cleaned up okay. Also found ten wheaties, a new record for me. Dates are 1918, 1919(2), 1939, 1940(4) and 1941(2).

I found the wheaties with my metal detector, but not in the conventional manner. Since there are literally thousands of bottle caps there, detecting this dump is tough. I can't seem to discriminate out the bottle caps. So I tried scooping up the dirt into a small plastic bin and then running it over my upside down coil resting on the ground. Works great! It ignores the bottle caps now. Weird!

The total for this dump is now 25 coins, all dated between 1910 and 1942. I've found 18 wheaties, 4 Mercs, 2 Barber quarters and a SLQ.

Here's a few pics:

1916 barber obverse dirty.webp1916 barber reverse dirty.webp1916 barber.webp1916 barber reverse.webpDSC04578.webpDSC04579.webpDSC04580.webpDSC04581.webp
 
Upvote 28
NICELY done! If only the Barber date was on your Merc!

Wow, I never thought of that! I'll probably get a 1916 at this dump eventually, but I'll bet it won't have a "d" mint mark. But you never know...
 
FBT NICE SWEENY TODD YOU GOT THERE AND THE MERC ALS0.
 
Great looking coins ya found. Nice job!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom