1917 Merc and possible NJ State Civil War button

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I took advantage of the good weather and went detecting at a farm that yielded some good finds last week.

I was lucky enough to find a beat-up 1917 Mercury Dime, a cool old button with shank intact, two musket balls (big and small) and a broken crotal bell - definitely a good day!

1917 Mercury Dime - Both Sides.jpg All Finds - Small.jpg

When I got home and cleaned the button off, I noticed that the front has the state seal of New Jersey (the three plows in the crest is pretty distinctive), and the back is marked "HORSTMANN - NY & PHILADA". It appears that I found a Civil War button, which would be a first for me - can anyone here who knows about CW relics confirm this? Thanks!
NJ State Seal Button - Both Sides.jpg Example Button - Small.jpg

I'm not sure if I'll get any more hunts in before January 1st, but if not this isn't a bad way to finish the year. Thanks for looking - HH!

Last edited:
Upvote 11

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I took advantage of the good weather and went detecting at a farm that yielded some good finds last week.

I was lucky enough to find a beat-up 1917 Mercury Dime, a cool old button with shank intact, two musket balls (big and small) and a broken crotal bell - definitely a good day!

View attachment 1996174 View attachment 1996175

When I got home and cleaned the button off, I noticed that the front has the state seal of New Jersey (the three plows in the crest is pretty distinctive), and the back is marked "HORSTMANN - NY & PHILADA". It appears that I found a Civil War button, which would be a first for me - can anyone here who knows about CW relics confirm this? Thanks!
View attachment 1996177 View attachment 1996176

I'm not sure if I'll get any more hunts in before January 1st, but if not this isn't a bad way to finish the year. Thanks for looking - HH!
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ScaredOfClowns wrote:
> the back is marked "HORSTMANN - NY & PHILADA". It appears that I found a Civil War button, which would be a first for me - can anyone here who knows about CW relics confirm this?

Sorry to have to disappoint your hopes, but:
The best book on time-dating buttons by their backmark is "American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" by McGuinn & Bazelon. It shows a picture of your button's EXACT backmark, and says it dates only from 1865-70. So, unless your button was made during the first 3 months of 1865, it is from after the end of the civil war.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread