What's new

Pre civil war Virginia militia button….

Lord Verdigris

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2014
Messages
3,935
Reaction score
9,274
Golden Thread
2
Location
East coast Canada
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven’t been on here in awhile and have some catching up to do at some point but I found a button yesterday that I thought id take the time to share. It’s a two piece dome pre war Virginia state militia button. What makes it a very good find for me is that it was found a long way from home way up here in Nova Scotia, Canada. Looks like it was lost by the shank coming out. Any extra info anyone may know on it to narrow it down closer to maker and date please feel free to chime in. Thanks for looking! 😁👍
IMG_9881.webp
IMG_9882.webp
IMG_9877.webp
IMG_9874.webp
IMG_9876.webp
IMG_9879.webp
IMG_9880.webp
IMG_9881.webp
IMG_9882.webp
IMG_9877.webp
IMG_9874.webp
IMG_9876.webp
IMG_9879.webp
IMG_9880.webp
 
Upvote 18
Thanks 😁
 
I’d say it’s an Albert’s 4b. Backmark has me confused….think I see a …..bros & C(superscript)O. That doesn’t line up with backmarks in Albert’s or tice for 4b. If you can get any more detail from the back it could help with id.

With the sword raised, I’d say you’re correct…..it’s a prewar va button. Nice find.
 
I haven’t been on here in awhile and have some catching up to do at some point but I found a button yesterday that I thought id take the time to share. It’s a two piece dome pre war Virginia state militia button. What makes it a very good find for me is that it was found a long way from home way up here in Nova Scotia, Canada. Looks like it was lost by the shank coming out. Any extra info anyone may know on it to narrow it down closer to maker and date please feel free to chime in. Thanks for looking! 😁👍View attachment 2254143View attachment 2254144View attachment 2254145View attachment 2254146View attachment 2254147View attachment 2254148View attachment 2254149View attachment 2254143View attachment 2254144View attachment 2254145View attachment 2254146View attachment 2254147View attachment 2254148View attachment 2254149
Great looking button K1DDO. The fact that you found it up in Canada is very interesting. Thanks for posting it. PS- Great photos too!
 
Pretty button ! Far from state home yes, not as far from the maker of the button though, while not all, most of the Pre-War Va buttons were manufactured in the north. Agree your button appears to be the 4b variant, with the large letters touching the border, and I can only assume this was made by the Horstmann Bro's & Co., also marked on early militia buttons. Their buttons have New York and Philadelphia (abbreviated ) backmarks.
 
Last edited:
Awesome! Great find...
 
Pretty button ! Far from state home yes, not as far from the maker of the button though, while not all, most of the Pre-War Va buttons were manufactured in the north. Agree your button appears to be the 4b variant, with the large letters touching the border, and I can only assume this was made by the Horstmann Bro's. Their buttons have New York and Philadelphia (abbreviated ) backmarks.
Cool info thank you 😁
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom