1919 Buffalo, $1.50 in clad and no wheaties. Go figure

hoosierfinds

Dec 14, 2005
Richmond Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Went to a turn of the century house in town today. The house was basically situated on the very back of the lot. The front yard was 30 feet wide on each side of the side walk and probably120 feet deep. I used my bigfoot coil on the first 2/3 of the yard (away from the house). None of the depth readings were less than three inches but many of the coins were not that deep. So I was going straight to digging a plug instead of trying to probe and pry them up. When I switched to the round coil that came with my XLT, I started getting some shallower reads, prying them up and moving a little faster. Though I guess I was slowed some by not getting as large a sweep as I do with the Bigfoot. It was amazing to me that I could dig 35 pennies and have no wheats on an old lot with a 1919 buffalo nickel found.
The ring says .975, however it is very light weight.
The one elongated object is/was a harmonica

Attachments

• May8finds1.jpg
    May8finds1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 379
  • may8finds2.jpg
    may8finds2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 379
  • may8finds3.jpg
    may8finds3.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 370
Upvote 0
Yes! That is a nice buffalo

Nice !

I like the Toys :)

Jeff

Those XLT'S are hard to beat, nice going. Tsgman

Wow, that Buffalo is a looker. Very Nice. Did you really hunt out the place? The deeper coins might give "iffy" signals.

Mirage

Nice looking Buffalo, like that token too and congrats on the silver! HH, Mike

Man I got to get out!!! Good finds. They make me want to get out and hunt now. Burdie

Just my luck too Hoosier,go figure...Like everyone else said,Beautiful lookin Buffalo.Nice job and the best of luck if you go there again.. HH!!

Hey Hoosier, nice buffalo and great token. If you are finding the nickels you have your settings just right. Try running your Preamp Gain up to about 4 and your A.C. Sensitivity to about 73 and D.C. Sensitivity to 40, if your ground will take it. I use the Relic program with these adjustments and am finding half reals at 9 inches in wet soil. If your finding the nickels you will be able to find the gold too. Congrats...Lance

A couple of nice finds there.Cool token...Joe
I did the same thing about a year ago at an old woodlot behind a turn of the century school.First find was a Buffalo,second a wheat.Searched for about two hours after that and never found another old coin??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back