Merc.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 453
Upvote 0

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Re: 1921 key date Merc....

At least VF but that looks like a large scratcvh and if so would severely detract from the value. exanimo, ss

F

Floater

SS I think the Scratch is on the Mylar. The coin is nice though except the date. Looking good. nice Find. HH

OP
OP
M

mole

That nscratch is on the plastic. The photo makes it look worse then it is. The date is the only spot its really worn out.

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

That's a great find! Congrats.

From what I can tell it is probably an EF-40 or 45. Scratches would lower that. Still a valuable coin.

OP
OP
M

mole

So what is the process for getting it graded. How does it work and how much does it cost for the grading. Who whould you recomend I use.

As you can tell, I'm new at this...only detecting a couple of years and never have found anyting like this.

Thanks
Mike

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats a nice find there! I'd get it graded if it's a key date......PCGS is the standard bearer of grading services, but it can get expensive to get a coin graded and slabbed. HH!

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

Most coin dealers will give you an "unofficial" opinion. If there is a coin show in your area take it around to several dealers there.

If you want an "official" opinion you can send it in to one of the coin grading services. PCGS may be the best and NGC is well thought of also. There are others that you should check out before you use them.

Fees vary. The coin will be authenticated (to make sure it is not a counterfeit or altered) and slabbed (placed in a protective holder) with a certificate stating the grading service's findings.

Good luck. Now go find its cousin, the 1916-D.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VF to XF and the scratch looks to be in the mylar not the coin.

Nice find, and worth a few bucks for sure!

Grading would cost approx. $30 by PCGS (the only one I'd use because they are the top grading co. out there, and their coins command premiums).

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
M

mole

Thanks for the info...you guys rock. I'm totaly excited abouit finding this. Everything so far has been 2-25 bucks ....nothing even close to this. That park has been hammered for years....So it goes to show that places that poeple think are searched out still produce nice stuff.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The 2005 Redbook has listed Very Fine-20 as $275 and then Extra Fine-40 valued at $500.00. You may be somewheres in the middle?
IT'S A BEAUTY!

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent find!! that coin is in great shape.If you went to a coin dealer they can "piggy back"your coin with others being sent for grading .This will ease the shipping "pain"/cost to you.The only thing is this might take a little longer but I would send it off for grading if it was me.A coin like that will fetch a FAR higher price if its slabbed.Just my two cents.Thanx for posting a great find.

HH jimmy

OP
OP
M

mole

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to send it out to get graded. But I have decided to hold on to it....and not sell it.

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

1921 Merc Dimes are notorious for having weak strikes on the date. Although some of the date is worn, it is still a very good strike considering. And to make matter better for you, the dime is in decent condition, with the reverse being in better condition. As has been suggested, I would grade the dime in VF condition for the observe. I would not go to 35 though like I saw posted above, I would say 20. But the reverse would be an EF 40-45.

Anthony

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd stay away from that PCI grading company,

they're not very accepted with coin collectors, and their slabbed coins sell for far less than PCGS or NGC

ANACS is also a good one.

PCGS = #1

NGC = #2

ANACS = #3

all others = "forget it".

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio

WOW! I'd Say atleast VF-40! Thats one of the best coins I've seen on here in a while! GREAT FIND! HH CS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread