What's new

1928 Peace Dollar

apush

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
212
Golden Thread
0
Location
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called my dad today who just turned 70. I told him about my new and exciting hobby of coin rolling. After I explained the concept to him, he was excited (more so that a person does not loose money since there is always face value). I told him I was planning to order my first box this week (darn the banks are not open Monday since I am off work).

Well, we begin discussing coins and he tells me that he still has my old coin collection when I was a great deal younger (?) I said, "what coin collection?" Then after a few minutes, I do remember a few times as a kid we discussed coins. My dad says, "I will call you back in a few minutes--I have your coins in the closet." I am about to just go nuts until he calls me back. He starts naming off coins. I stop him and ask for mint marks. He says hold on, he has to get his glasses and magnifying glass. When he states I have a 1928 Silver Dollar with no mint mark, I almost fainted. I had him give me the details of the coin. I looked the coin up one a website and good condition is around $200.00 (Well, I hope it is). Next, he proceeds to tell me that my grandfather left my mother lots of silver dollars and they are in the safe deposit box at the bank. I asked dad what constituted "several." He said around 300 or so. I about had a stroke.
Well, dad is going to the bank on Tuesday. I will be at Dad's this weekend. I am an only child :laughing9:. My grandfather was a Great Depression farmer, so my guess is that he was a horder in all things--like so many during his time.
apush
 
Upvote 0
Great story. I am now trying to locate my dad's penny collection. A complete set of Lincolns (except for the 1909svbd) I have been toting it around for twenty years and only recently have become interested.

My grandfather reportedly had 2 five gallon buckets half filled with silver coins under his porch when he died. He believed the banks would fail again,
 
apush -

Who knows what you may find? :icon_thumright:




Fathead - Your Grandfather was a wise man. :thumbsup:
 
Congradulations! Glad to hear that someone else was smart enough to save those silver dollar coins for you. When I was little (1940's and 1950's), my aunt would give each of her nieces and nephews five silver dollars each Christmas and birthday. I'm the only one who saved them and that's what started my coin collecting interest. My Mom saved them for me and gave them back to me when I
returned from Vietnam. I now have them to hand down to my children. No rare dates, but most are in the 1800's. All totaled I have about 45 of them. Good luck to you!m Great story.
Rileboy
 
Thanks ya'll. Every now and then, so I have heard, one gets a small hit. Dad also told me I had a US Gold Eagle 1/4 Coin. Then, I also have one 10 troy oz silver bar, according to my dad. So, if I have calculated correctly thus far, I have around a total of $700.00 I did not know I had. Course, I won't spend it. It will all be passed down to my only granddaughter who is now 4 years old. If she spends those coins on clothes or partying when I am dead and long gone, I will come back and haunt her from the grave. :laughing7:
APUSH
 
Love these types of stories. My grandfather had a load of old coins that he burried in concrete for years. My Grandmother has offered to let me look through them and find there values. No telling if I will get any of them.

golden silver
 
When you get the loot! Obey the SILVER RULE! Post pictures!
 
Golden Silver,
Ask your grandmother, since you are the expert and determing value, if you can get "first pick." That only sounds fair. If you were my grandson, and went to all that trouble, I would give you first pick.
apush
 
I have never posted a pic. Guess I will learn how this weekend. Will go do parents house, pick up the "loot," take a pic, then post.
apush
 
nice stuff, I have found 2 peace dollars from a cash register at work, was thrilled to see the other workers don't care ;D
 
Before you get too excited, does your dad realize that the mintmark (if there is one) is on the back beneath the word ONE?
 
Very cool of your dad to save your coin collection - The silver dollar hoard sounds nice too. Maybe I should call my dad and ask him if he has any silver for me :notworthy:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom