What's new

1935 G Silver Certificate Star Note?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
⛮ Administrator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
56,461
Reaction score
72,739
Golden Thread
0
Anybody know if there is any value over face value in a 1935 G Silver Certificate Star note?

1000033040.webp



1000033041.webp
 
Not a currency expert, but would guess $10 or less. Hopefully I’m mistaken
Found it so it is all good, found 17 silver certificates, 6 are 1935, 11 are 1955, one was the 1935 star note, and also one 2 dollar bill was with them, $19 face value.
 
Last edited:
That is very nice. Once upon a time real money.
 
Yes, a Star 35 G has value; maybe $10 if in VF-20
The non-Star quantity printed was about 195M, your STAR--about 9M printed.
Don in SoCal

PS: Correction, see my next comment.
 
Last edited:
Yes, a Star 35 G has value; maybe $10 if in VF-20
The non-Star quantity printed was about 195M, your STAR--about 9M printed.
Don in SoCal

Thanks, might just throw all 17 on Ebay put min and see what happens, either way its worth at least $19.00. 😜😁
 
TH,
I'm guessing you posted a pic of the front of your 35G and the reverse of another silver certificate.
I say that because the 35 G did not contain the motto "In God We Trust" on the reverse; only the 35H had that motto in the 35 series.
Don in SoCal
 
TH,
I'm guessing you posted a pic of the front of your 35G and the reverse of another silver certificate.
I say that because the 35 G did not contain the motto "In God We Trust" on the reverse; only the 35H had that motto in the 35 series.
Don in SoCal
I just checked and picture is correct, has "In God We Trust" on reverse side, on front is series 1935 G, got it in my hand as I type...lol.
 
TH,
Yes, though not in my catalog, it does exist (obviously). Here's some info; more to come.

In U.S. paper currency, the date on a bill (1935 in this case) does not reflect the year it was physically printed. Instead, it denotes the year the major design format was first adopted.
Printing Timeline for Series 1935-G
No Motto June '61-Mar. '62
With Motto: Apr. '62-Nov '62

Don in SoCal
 
Last edited:
TH,
Yes, though not in my catalog, it does exist (obviously). Here's some info; more to come.

In U.S. paper currency, the date on a bill (1935 in this case) does not reflect the year it was physically printed. Instead, it denotes the year the major design format was first adopted.
Printing Timeline for Series 1935-G
No Motto June '61-Mar. '62
With Motto: Apr. '62-Nov '62

Don in SoCal
Am I reading the dates correctly? I’m not questioning you, this is an honest question, why would they use the 1935 model into the early 1960’s when they had a new model come out in 1957 (I think)?
 
Good question: The answer is because the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing kept older master plates and signature combinations in simultaneous production until they wore out, alongside newer series (yes, starting in 1957) to meet massive public demand of $1 bills.
Don in SoCal
 
Last edited:
I have a neighbor whose stepfather collected coins and bills from all over the world. In the collection was a $500 silver certificate. If my memory is correct, its date was 1921. I couldn't find any info on its rarity, but I did advise him to put it in his safety deposit box.
 
I have a neighbor whose stepfather collected coins and bills from all over the world. In the collection was a $500 silver certificate. If my memory is correct, its date was 1921. I couldn't find any info on its rarity, but I did advise him to put it in his safety deposit box.
I totaly agree ! After someone likeing my coins and dollar bills ETC. ETC. more than I did , I now keep the ones I still have in my safe . TO LITTLE / TO LATE !
 
I have a neighbor whose stepfather collected coins and bills from all over the world. In the collection was a $500 silver certificate. If my memory is correct, its date was 1921. I couldn't find any info on its rarity, but I did advise him to put it in his safety deposit box.
If I'm not mistaken the last $500 silver certificates were in a larger bill size than more modern silver certificates and the last ones were 1878 and 1880 series, in 1928 they resized bill to be smaller, which is the size we have today and discontinued all silver certificates except the $1, $5 and $10 silver certificates.

There are early small size $500 Federal Reserve Notes.

Maybe @Mackaydon can clarify?
 
Good question: The answer is because the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing kept older master plates and signature combinations in simultaneous production until they wore out, alongside newer series (yes, starting in 1957) to meet massive public demand of $1 bills.
Don in SoCal
Many thanks. Had no idea, guess you learn something every day

Any idea when (I’m assuming it did) that practiced ended? I’m assuming they're not still printing 2012 version bills, even low denominations. That’s not taking into consideration all the anti counterfeiting steps taken on bigger bills.
 
Last edited:
Among other years, $500 Federal Reserve Notes were printed in the series of 1918 (blue seals) and 1928 (green seals). Most any blue seal is worth north of $20,000 in EF-40 or better; versus the green seals may top out at $6,000 (Boston) in the same EF-40 or better condition.
A pic here on TNet of that bill may be a first.
Don in SoCal
 
The last series of $1 silver certificates was 1957 though they were kept in production until 1964; one year after the next series (of Federal Reserve Notes) was first printed.
Don in SoCal
 
If I'm not mistaken the last $500 silver certificates were in a larger bill size than more modern silver certificates and the last ones were 1878 and 1880 series, in 1928 they resized bill to be smaller, which is the size we have today and discontinued all silver certificates except the $1, $5 and $10 silver certificates.

There are early small size $500 Federal Reserve Notes.

Maybe @Mackaydon can clarify?
AU Seeker,
I agree with your post. Adding: The $500 small bill FRN with the pic of President McKinley was the
Series of 1934 (A,B and C), but neither the B nor the C series was ever issued, though 2,472 of the B and 1,644 of the C were printed.
Don in SoCal
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom