1940s Non-War Nickels - - Any future value?

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
In doing boxes of nickels, I was keeping all 1940s non war nickels but in looking at current value, it does not seem to have any over face. Do you think these will have any premium in future? Last few boxes I have just been pulling the war nickels. What are your thoughts? I was keeping all pre 1960s but after about 50 boxes, that is ALOT of nickels to be keeping when they seem to have nothing over face value at this time.

Upvote 0

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
I feel you, I'm only about 30-35 boxes in and I must be sitting on near $70-$80 in Pre-60 nickels. They'll definitely have future value due to inflation (They're already "worth" over face) but it's a question of if the cost of storage and missed opportunities for having that cash tied up will be offset by the eventual profit potential. Nickels, due to the fact that it's difficult to extract the nickel and copper, will have to get pretty high over face to make them worth melting down.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep all pre 60...Dont know why..but i do..but im more of collector then worring about the value of them

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
I keep all pre 60...Dont know why..but i do..but im more of collector then worring about the value of them

Same here, except I keep all pre 70's....Like to see how many complete sets I can make CRH....Its just fun for me...

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gallileo60 said:
Diggin-N-Dumps said:

Same here, except I keep all pre 70's....Like to see how many complete sets I can make CRH....Its just fun for me...

Damn....Now ya got me going back thru my boxes :laughing9:

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I am not in the norm, but here is what I do: I have 3 kids (youngest is 21). Yep, they are all grown. Youngest is in her 3rd year of college--an engineer/chemistry major. She will make more money than I will ever dream of. :hello2: Yep, she won't be moving home. Oldest is a boy who is an accountant for a credit recovery firm; oldest daughter is an RN for Care Flight--ask me about that sometime! She is why I never drink and drive.

I am creating a "coin set" for each of my 3 kids. Will take me a life time. I collect all decent nickles from 1958 and prior. I am working on collecting 1 full roll of each coin, each mint mark, for each kid. Yep, that is why I said a "life time." Doing the same for cents, dimes, halves (forget the quarters--not happening). I have so many coins "strolled' out in my office, that it is a wonder that Mr. Apush even tolerates me. :laughing9:

I know it will take a 100 years+ for the majority of coins to be of any real $$$ value, but it is fun for me. The kids will love to have the coins long after I am gone and 6ft under.

apush :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread