apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone found a 1943 Steel Cent in a box? This one has escaped me time and time again. I know coin counters have magnets that pull steel. Just wonder if a steel cent that is deposited straight to the bank (and misses the coin counter) could in theory go to Brinks, then rerolled, and packed into boxes? Or does the Brinks machines have the same set up? I am thinking it does(?).

I have searched numerous handrolls--just need more patience with the handrolls I guess. I know steel cents are cheap, and I could just go buy one, but I really would like to find a few in the wild. Santa brought me a load of coin albums. :icon_sunny:

HSH,
apush :read2:

Upvote 0

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
In 3 years of searching I have found 50+ steelies. While I have done a good amount of searching I havent done anywhere near what alot on this board has. I dont have access to my search records at the moment but my breakdown is something like this.

20+ in one roll

I had numerous rolls(I think it was 10 or so) over a two week period and each roll had atleast 2 steelies in them. Funny that they never had any other wheats. These rolls had a distinct wrapper and what was odd was these rolls would just pop up here and there among other rolls I had gotten.

I have found atleast 5 in various penny jars(ALWAYS SEARCH THE JARS) people drop coins they meant to save in them all the time.

I know of a few others I have found in rolls but not sure how many.

Interesting side note I had found 3 Indians and 1 09 vdb before i found my first steel. imo steelies are one of the harder pennies to find. As others have said handrolls are the way to go for the nice suprises. Hell I have found two tarnished Mercs in handrolls lol.

HH and GL

Lava

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Apush,

You said that Tanner and I should up our penny boxes over Christmas. We did 6 boxes 15,000 pennies at our cabin (3 Wheat Wars) Tanner pulled a our first steel penny :hello2: out of one of his boxes. I will report the Wheat Wars later.

Keep on searching,
Gordon and Tanner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread