What's new

1943 Steel Cent Question

apush

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
212
Golden Thread
0
Location
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone found a 1943 Steel Cent in a box? This one has escaped me time and time again. I know coin counters have magnets that pull steel. Just wonder if a steel cent that is deposited straight to the bank (and misses the coin counter) could in theory go to Brinks, then rerolled, and packed into boxes? Or does the Brinks machines have the same set up? I am thinking it does(?).

I have searched numerous handrolls--just need more patience with the handrolls I guess. I know steel cents are cheap, and I could just go buy one, but I really would like to find a few in the wild. Santa brought me a load of coin albums. :icon_sunny:

HSH,
apush :read2:
 
Upvote 0
I've been CRHing for almost 4 years and have never found a steel cent. Most of the coins I search are from boxes but I have searched many hand rolls as well. I always just chalked it up to the magnets in the machines and the fact that they looked different so they are more easily noticed.

-Codes
 
I was at my bank the other day when I saw the bank teller break a new roll of pennies to give me change,and the first coin I see pop out of the roll is a steel penny.I asked her if I could have it and she said yes. :hello2:
 
Recently my wife, who works at a credit union, brought home an entire roll of steel cents.
 
ive found steelies in boxes before. They cant be pulled because id brinks was using magnets they would pull out all the canadians. and god know we all get plenty of those
 
Been doing cents for months with well over 100 boxes and never come across one. Got mine at an estate auction but I would love to find one in a roll. Even though they are not worth anything, it would still be a exciting find.
 
i have been lucky and found probably 25 steelies in several different boxes, it can happen!
 
I found two, count 'em two, steelies in a coin machine at my credit union at the same time. Both are pristine, one could almost be MS according to my dealer. It looked like somebody dumped somebody's coin collection.
 
I get 1 a week pulled off the magnet in the coin counter
 
I havent done any penny boxes,but i get steel pennies and silver atmy dump bank in the return tray on coin machine almost weekly since Ive started doing this.
 
I searched over $4,000 worth this year before I finally found one. Last night I found my 2nd one for the year. They are out there.
 
Only one I found in circulation in the last couple of years was out of my wife's coin jar. I need to find out if some of my banks will save me the stuff off the magnet in the coin counter. I don't have many with a self serve counter.
 
I haven't gotten one either. Ugotit is right, new canadian cents have steel in them. Not that they're worth much but interesting that they're harder to find. They're just as hard to find as the 1950 wheatie that I'm griping about.
 
Check the reject try the mechines love to reject them how many do you want find them all the time. happy hunting Ron
 
It is funny you should ask this question . I have been CRH since the early 70's and can never recall if I ever got a steel cent even in a cutomer turn in roll . Then about 2 weeks ago my jaw dropped when I opened this roll talk about a find of a lifetime . 46 p's 2 esses and 2 d's. Can not see that happening again . I have never found a full roll of wheats . let alone a whole roll of steelies. You never know! Rob :coffee2:
 

Attachments

  • metal detecting 336.webp
    metal detecting 336.webp
    25.6 KB · Views: 292
  • metal detecting 337.webp
    metal detecting 337.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 324
I've never found a steelie in a roll, but I have gotten two the old fashioned way - in change. One was actually in a friends change, and the other came along a couple weeks later from a McDonalds.
 
Yes-
Numerous steelies in bags, Brinks and CWI (NF String), rolls. Give it time, they'll come.
It's more fun to find silver and IH's in machine rolls than steelies!
 
Never found one, been hunting pennies since 2004.
2008-2010 searching averaged $150 FV per week or roughly 50k-60k pennies/month
Luck of the draw combined with a lot of rejects by machines keeping them out of my bags and boxes.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom